Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Re: musical genius

I dunno man, the stuff they do by themselves seems more original. Like they are actually trying to make music when its there "band", but when they do it for other people it seems like they are just trying to make hits.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:42 PM

Roger Waters

cheers!
Old 11-12-2004, 06:58 PM

I like to think that true musical genius is undeniable, that even the most hardened, pigeonholed music lover could understand and feel true genius. Sadly, this is not the case. I didn't read the whole thread yet, but there are a few things that caught my eye.

Tom Morello is an excellent guitar player. He uses a lot of different equipment/setups to get his sound and is quite technically capable on the guitar. Musical Genius? Nope. Rage Against the Machine is genius, all of them together. They don't exist without each other and they suck by themselves (audioslave).

Jimi Hendrix is true musical genius. Composition, lyricism, guitar playing. This guy blows people away to this day, I can't listen to him without cursing my bad fortune that I was born so late.

The Grammy awards do not mean a goddamn thing. Have you ever seen someone win an award in the broadcast that was less than platinum selling? How many of the award-winners have you seen before? The grammys are not for who's best, they are for who sells the most. Same thing with all the other award shows.

Since I doubt he's been mentioned, I'll throw out Rashaan Roland Kirk. This guy was a big fan of playing two saxes at once, quite well. I also have to give it up to They Might Be Giants for being the 80's beatles, and consistently progressing. Michael Jackson is nothing without Quincy Jones, and very little with. I would bring Rappers into the discussion, but that is more lyrical genius and has less to do with music. There are so many jazz musicians and classical composers that it's not worth mentioning.

There should be a set definition for the term "musical genius" if we are to continue.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:12 PM

the only rapper that comes to mind is Andre 3000. Based upon his disc, The Love Below, and his lyrical prowess, that seals the deal for me.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:41 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i think one would have to be crazy to deny dr. dre's genius.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:55 PM

My vote goes for the main writers on Appetite For Destruction. Slash?

Best. Album. Ever.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:59 PM

good call with Dre, his genius is def on the production side, especially the beats. I heard an interview with Snoop, and he was talking about the Chronic album and when they were working on it. There was a part where Dre had Snoop say something in a really specific way and Snoop was like "wtf, I dunno that sounds wack", he did it how Dre told him to and it came out tight. He has an ear for what sounds good.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John Williams

[/ QUOTE ]

Without the Williams score, there is no Star Wars franchise. Nobody would have cared that Episode 1 was coming out. Hell, episodes 5 and 6 may never have been made. Recently, I think the music is carrying the movies. Episode 1 was horrible, but Duel of the Fates was a great track. Episode 2 could have been great without the love scenes, but in reality kinda sucked as a whole. But the scene on Tattooine where Anakin goes off to "find his mother" where they transition from the Skywalker theme to Duel of the Fates is great. The last musical set in the movie where they blend nearly every theme, including the terrific Imperial March, is great.

I think people greatly underestimate the impact that music has on motion pictures, and well, on life. I'd rather be blind than deaf, though neither really strikes my fancy. Looks can be deceiving, but I've rarely been fooled by a noise. If Shore's score weren't so good, the Lord of the Rings movies would have been far less popular.

Dragon (that Bruce Lee thing) is an example of a mediocre movie that was made a lot better by a fantastic score. They still use a ton of the tracks for newer trailers.

~D
Old 11-12-2004, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems to have developed into a Jazzfest, and all the good ones have been covered. Also, any classical composer still famous worldwide this long after death is obviously a shoe-in. I'll try to throw in something different.

Maynard James Keenan
Robert Smith (Ok, more inovator than genius, but still)

[/ QUOTE ]

Maynard is a gifted lyricist and very good performer, but the genius in Tool is Danny Carey, the drummer. He is flat-out nasty.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:13 PM

The GZA, do you see why?

~D