Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2004, 05:32 PM

Default I third that nt

nt
Old 07-31-2004, 05:32 PM

Default I third that nt

nt
Old 07-31-2004, 05:48 PM

Default good post

I agree with what you said for the most part.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:01 PM

Default Re: My thoughts on the ladies event

<font color="red">
Annie,

As a woman poker player - I really appreciate your post. I have actually been considering the ladies limit tourney next year for the reason you stated... to get my feet wet in a tourney. I think no one who has not met you should be judging you and bashing you. However, if I was you I would take it as a complement. You are high enough in the elite poker player realm that people actually start judging you - you are a celebrity period.

Congratulations on your first bracelet that was a long time coming. Cheers. </font>
Old 08-01-2004, 05:03 AM

Annie, I wouldn't take any of the criticism on these boards to heart. Odds are, most of the people that feel this way are probably just jealous of your talents. Congratulations on your win and I hope you win many more bracelets.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:06 AM

Its amazing the things people say on here. Even if I disliked Annie Duke for some reason, I'm quite sure I'd be liking her more after seeing the absurd things she's getting criticized for.
She hugged her brother, somehow this bothered you? I saw nothing classless about the way she won the Omaha tournament at all, yet somehow people can write a 8 paragraph dissertation detailing every moment from the 2 minutes it was on ESPN, and explaining why all of her actions are deplorable.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Final hand question.

Annie,

If you stop in and see this, I was curious about something. I've started playing O8 tourneys and find myself having trouble when it gets heads up determining which hands to press and which not to, preflop.

In the final hand shown on ESPN, that's an obviously good hand to play, but I was curious given the chip position you were in there (one raise forcing your opponent all in) do you put pressure with any four for a while trying to knock out the player and only getting selective if they accumulate enough chips to give them an outside chance at coming back or do you still stay selective in what you raise with, preferring to see the flop and make a decision there?

Oh, and to comment on all the rediculousness above, I don't think most people care about all this nonsense. I thought the way you handled yourself at the end of the 08 tourny was classy, your first instinct was to shake your opponent's hand, anything you did after that was your business and completely appropriate in my opinion.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:46 AM

I haven't read any of the other responses to your post.

Here is a woman who clearly didn't want to get sucked into all of this, but has decided to finally respond here now.

[ QUOTE ]
1) Of course I realize how I sounded in that interview. And I regret every word of what I said. Not that it is an excuse, but I was extremely tired and extremely aggravated at having literally just been knocked out that second. I had no editing from my brain to my mouth--which is, for sure, one of my many faults. If I could take back that interview, I would. But I can't. So I own the mistake completely and, hopefully, I will learn from it an become a much better person for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine that. Someone was cranky, weary, and pissed off, and vented a little bit. Big deal. I can't imagine what made you issue such a gracious retraction/apology here. Anyone can understand this reaction in this circumstance. If they say they don't, they're lying or haven't got a clue what the circumstance is all about.

You say DN apologized? That is good to hear, and is certainly a fact out of which you could have made a big production, yet opted to leave be. I suppose you didn't feel that the RGP and 2+2 communities were tops on your list of priorities vis a vis dirty laundry-airing. Good for you.

You make mention of some things being "very painful" and "very hard to deal with." Of course they are. It's like the damned grade school lunch room in here a lot of the time; it's easy to fall prey to the mob mentality.

Nobody wants to be the one getting pelted by spitballs and having their pigtails pulled.

One of the posters doesn't like what you wear or the way you sit.

I hope they don't tell the teacher. You might end up in detention.

Keep the faith.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:53 AM

Default Re: And to wrap this one up...

You say that we can only form opinions based upon the information provided to us. OK.

Because you have tried, in even the slightest of ways, to compare an interview given on ESPN to the question of whether God exists, I have to conclude, based upon the information provided, that you logic is so out of touch with reality as to make your entire opinion irrelevant.

That you would actually fault someone (indeed, call her classless) for hugging her own brother after winning the WSOP, goes beyond illogical. I truly cannot understand what solar system you've managed to cull your opinions from to bring to this message board.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Re: And to wrap this one up...

Richie,

As a frequent lurker and sometimes poster on these boards, I have almost always found your posts (particularly NL) to be helpful and informative. For that, I thank you.

However, while it is certainly your right to dislike Annie Duke (although it makes little sense to me to do so based upon her TV "persona"), I just don't understand the basis for some of your criticisms.

What difference does it make what Annie wears to the table or how she sits? The level of concentration, focus, and mental discipline it takes to play top level tournament poker is off the charts. If Annie is more comfortable wearing what she wears, and sitting how she sits, or if she thinks it helps put forth a certain table image, then so be it. Until they establish a dress code or rules on posture, she is free to do as she pleases. Her dress and posture have absolutely no bearing on whether she has class or not. And to criticize her for it is just silly. It's like criticizing Negraneau, Ivey, and others for wearing headphones at the table, or saying Freddy Deeb is somehow "classless" because he wears loud shirts.

And to accuse her of "excessive celebration" after winning her first WSOP because she jumped into the arms of her brother? If that isn't the most ridiculous statement made by anyone on the boards, it's definitely close. First of all, it was clearly spontaneous. Second, I can only imagine the sense of accomplishment Annie felt after finally winning her first bracelet, especially doing it in an open event. And to be able to share that moment with her brother made it even better. I can only assume that if you ever win a WSOP bracelet, you will calmly shake the hand of whatever significant other/relative is there rooting you on.