Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Watching The Boondock Saints...

[ QUOTE ]
Geez the movie people must really be out of ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]
nope
Old 10-27-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nope

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually enjoy the vast majority of films I see, new and old...If it wasnt for the spoof/comedy factor, Boodock Saints would easily be the worst movie I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't see what makes "Saints" so much worse than some piece of total crap like "The Punisher," or "The Whole Ten Yards," or "The Whole Nine Yards," or any one of the literally hundreds of completely bad movies that have been released since "Saints", or why someone who generally enjoys any movie they see would hate this one so much. I don't mean to be hassling you or anything, I just think it's interesting, why people like what they like, which is why I'm curious as to what people who hated this movie think of as a good movie.

I do enjoy the crime genre, and you say you don't really love any crime movies (I assume that's what you meant by "this genre"), so maybe that's it, or maybe it's that I'm from Boston and more disposed to movies set there. Who knows. I'm definitely surprised by the polarized reactions, though. I'd expect either a "OK movie" or a "meh, I wasn't wild about it," but the "best movie ever" or "worst movie ever" reactions totally surprised me.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nope

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I find it mildly disappointing but ultimately not surprising that Sam Jackson is in this movie?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nope

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO
Old 10-27-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nope

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I find it mildly disappointing but ultimately not surprising that Sam Jackson is in this movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like a whole culture on the IMDB message boards has emerged obsessed with what a bad idea this movie is.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:29 PM

I'm actually not that big of a fan of Pulp Fiction, but it was a frequent comparision. My issues were not that I was let down because it didn't mirror PF, just that it sucked.

The issue with the Suicide Kings directors commentary is that you realize the guy is a [censored] hack. It made me feel stupid for enjoying his movie.

Walken and Leary own that movie, and it is good, but not because of the writing or direction.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually not that big of a fan of Pulp Fiction, but it was a frequent comparision. My issues were not that I was let down because it didn't mirror PF, just that it sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

See that's what I was looking for; I'm a huge fan of Pulp Fiction and actually don't know why anyone wouldn't be. It's obvious we have very different taste in movies. However:
[ QUOTE ]

The issue with the Suicide Kings directors commentary is that you realize the guy is a [censored] hack. It made me feel stupid for enjoying his movie.

Walken and Leary own that movie, and it is good, but not because of the writing or direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely with this, the movie wasn't particularly well-written or directed, but the performances made the film (I also liked Henry Thomas, Jay Mohr and Jeremy Sisto quite a bit in this.)
Old 10-27-2005, 04:45 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in the little blurp interview with the director of american psycho followed by christian bale's perspective on the character, it really seemed as if bale understood the movie much better than the director did.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 PM

One thing I was always confused by in Boondock Saints was the pennies on the eyes. Why are two very Catholic Irish men fulfilling the religious rites of a completely different religion and especially on people who probably aren't of that religion anyway? Was it just meant to throw the police off?