Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Who has the safest career stat lead??

Which pro sports career stat record is least likely to be broken? for example career rushing yards, career rebounds, etc...

I'm only talking about career stats here - things like Wilt's 100 point game or DiMaggio's hit streak do not qualify.

I nominate John Stockton's 12,713 assists. I would be surprised if someone could convince me otherwise.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Who has the safest career stat lead??

I find a pro athletes career is shorter than ever before because of the huge money these guys are making now. You won't see many 20 year careers anymore.

Because of this economic fact, career records will be tougher to be broken IMO.

Walter Johnson's 530 complete games. Active leader Roger Clemens isn't in the top 50 all time.

NO ONE will ever beat Cy Youngs record 511 wins. There are 5 man rotations and middle relievers who claim wins that starters used to get when Cy young played.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NO ONE will ever beat Cy Youngs record 511 wins. There are 5 man rotations and middle relievers who claim wins that starters used to get when Cy young played.

[/ QUOTE ]

The clear choice.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:09 AM

Cy Young's record for both wins and losses will never even come close to being matched. Most pithcers don't start 500+ games in their career, so winning 500 would be a very tough feat.

I find it hard to believe more people don't recognize this as the sports record that will TRULY never be broken. At least the 56 game hitting streak COULD be broken. Nobody will ever even have the chance to break Cy Young's records.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cy Young's record for both wins and losses will never even come close to being matched.

[/ QUOTE ]
kevin brown has a shot at the loss record
seriously though, ryans K record probably doesnt get touched
Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 AM

With dominant pitchers like Johnson and Clemens performing well into their 40s, I think Ryan's record is not completely safe, although it may last a while. Randy Johnson will probably not get there, but could very conceivably hit 5000, which shows you that it's touchable.

With teams in the NBA starting to run again and having success with it, a PG could come along to challenge Stockton's records as well. It's basically like 10 assts/gm for 15 full years. Someone will pass that eventually.

Like others said, pretty much all MLB wins/losses/CGs/SOs pitching records plus Gretzky's points will not be broken.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With teams in the NBA starting to run again and having success with it, a PG could come along to challenge Stockton's records as well. It's basically like 10 assts/gm for 15 full years. Someone will pass that eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

15 full years would put you in the top five all time for games played. This is not an easy thing to do. After you accomplish this you have to average 10.5 a/game, which is something only magic and stockton have ever done. This is not an easy task in the least.

On the other hand take something like kareem's points record. Kareem only averaged 24.6 ppg, but it's his ridiculous games played stat that gives him the all time points lead. If Jordan or Wilt played many more games they would have crushed his record (arguably lowering their own averages, but still).

I did look into Wilt's alltime rebound record, that sucker looks pretty damn safe. He didn't play in that many games but 22.6 career average, damn...
Old 04-28-2005, 03:59 PM

with the NBA though eventually you will have a kid who is able to break into the league at age 18 or 19 and play into his late 30s. I think Stockton's record will fall in the next 30 years.