Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Would you play russian roulette

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play it even with a Million barrels. The risk/reward ratio is too bad. I have a family that I can support well and I am happy with my life. How could I ever justify to them to put that at risk just for money?

Oh, and it has nothing to do with "fear of death". It has more to do with how you value your life. Mine is invaluable.

I wouldn't even cut a tip of my finger off for 10 Mio $. No money in the world could make me do that.

[/ QUOTE ]
So I guess that means if I were to pay you $10 million to drive a car, then you wouldn't do that either. Because the odds of you dying in a car accident are better than 1000000:1.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Clearly you go second, and if he is still alive you shoot the fucker and take the money.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I guess that means if I were to pay you $10 million to drive a car, then you wouldn't do that either. Because the odds of you dying in a car accident are better than 1000000:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this comes from statistics of average fatalities, etc.
However, everyone does not drive with the same level of skill or in the same types of situations.

Regardless of the odds, you are still in a somewhat controllable situation.
It's not a fair comparison, IMO.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this comes from statistics of average fatalities, etc.
However, everyone does not drive with the same level of skill or in the same types of situations.

Regardless of the odds, you are still in a somewhat controllable situation.
It's not a fair comparison, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but I believe the odds with respect to average fatalities is only about 20,000:1 that you will die in a car accident. I was just trying to show that is pretty ridiculous to claim that you would not risk your life for any price with any sort of chance that you will die, because you are doing it for free on a daily basis.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No. Your life is worth an infinite amount of money. No dollar amount at any odds makes it worth risking.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to make this claim, but do people actually behave like that?

Do some research on your odds of dying by driving 3000 miles on a highway compared to your odds of dying by taking other means of transportation. Then see if you can explain why ANYONE would choose to drive.

The simple truth is that everyday people do things which increase their chances of dying for no good reason: People ride roller coasters, people travel by car rather than the alternatives (and then they speed, talk on their cell phone, run red lights, etc), people walk up to the edge of the Grand Canyon, people do drugs...

I very much doubt that anyone can honestly say that they have never done any activity which has increased their chance of immediate death by some amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm wrong.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly you go second, and if he is still alive you shoot the fucker and take the money

[/ QUOTE ]
ding ding ding!
Old 07-13-2005, 02:36 PM

easy call for me, i definitely take the bet. 1/6 chance of death, 5/6 chance of owning 10 mill. easiest money ever.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:43 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Are you going first?

b
Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1/6 chance to win 10 million? +Ev

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have 1/6 of a chance. Depneding how many people are playing you play until you are the last one standing.

IT also depends if you are plying where you spin the cylinder after every squeeze or just passing back and forth.

Anyway, my answer is this... if I am 20-50 years old no. If I am 50+ yes.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:12 PM

I would take this bet for any amount over $100,000 for as few chambers as eight, and not think twice about it. One time, one time only.

Come the hell on. Are there no other professional gamblers / stockbrokers / venture capitalists / whatever on this thread?

What if it was some kind of dangerous treasure expedition where you had like a 1/6 chance of dying, but your expectation was $10 million? Would you take THAT deal? I'd just as soon take the Roulette; less trouble.

The chance to live the kind of exceptional & free life that a lot of money offers is, IMO, way worth a manageably small chance of dying. Spinnnnnnnnnnnn.....