Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Greatest sports comeback ever!

GT/Clemson last year is my favorite comeback of all time. I don't know about greatest. They did have to score 3 TDs in the final 4 and a half minutes and have the center completely [censored] up the punt snap though, so it's not like it was easy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The best part was, everyone knew what was coming. Everyone at the stadium. Everyone watching on TV. Everyone on the defense. Everyone on the offense. And yet, this still happened:

Old 11-14-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Colts comeback over Tampa Bay on MNF in 2003 was better than this one. The Bucs led by 21 with less than 4 minutes to play in the 4th quarter. Colts won by 3 in overtime.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20031006_IND@TB

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was a good one too. But I'm a Jets fan, unfortunately.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:59 PM

I remember a few years back seeing high school football highlights on ESPN. I think it was from Texas. One team has a huge lead (several touchdowns), but the other team keeps onside kicking, recovering it, and scoring. They come ALL the way back to take the lead with only a few seconds left. They then kick off (to the team that had the big lead), and that team runs it back for a TD to win. I think there is even a DVD out about that game.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:36 PM

It wasn't the biggest deficit, it wasn't the most improbable comeback, but because the parameters allow it, I have to go with my personal favorite.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20030...r&gender=m
http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20022003/m/03/22/hu-cor.php

I've witnessed plenty of comebacks, pro and college, both live and through the television. I'll let the others argue all day long about Red Sox down 3-0 vs. Frank Reich vs. Duke/Maryland -- but for those to whom this hockey comeback means something, it's probably the one they are least likely to forget.

Especially after what happened the year before, what a special evening this was.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:57 PM

And its not even close. Dont forget that we got waxed by the Soviets right before the Olympics, and were down by a goal two different times in the game. And if I remember correctly, we were down in all but one or two games in the whole Olympics.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM

He came back with 1 leg and did the ironman, which takes more than any sport out there. You're a moron.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-14-2005, 07:41 PM

Chavez didn't stop Taylor. Richard Steele did. What a joke that was.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GT/Clemson last year is my favorite comeback of all time. I don't know about greatest. They did have to score 3 TDs in the final 4 and a half minutes and have the center completely [censored] up the punt snap though, so it's not like it was easy.

The best part was, everyone knew what was coming. Everyone at the stadium. Everyone watching on TV. Everyone on the defense. Everyone on the offense. And yet, this still happened:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell ya! The 6 faithful members of the San Diego GT Club who remained to the seemingly bitter end of this one were going absolutely nuts. I've seen many of the games being thrown around in this thread, but this game was THE biggest miracle win I've ever witnessed. Clemson absolutely killed Tech that entire second half, was much the better team that day, and there had to be like 5 or 6 very unlikely plays in a row at the end to make that one possible.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 PM

The best one in recent memory is Liverpool storming back against Milan in the Champions League Final, and then winning in Penalties. Just as good, if not better, than the Sox.

Remember that this might be the third biggest single sporting even in the world, behind the World Cup Final and the Superbowl.