Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Turn
Check 10 45.45%
Bet $2-18 1 4.55%
Bet $18-40 4 18.18%
Move In 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Poll: IQ

LOL...I read that earlier this morning, wanted to post it as "Quote of the Day", but just couldn't do it...
Old 05-02-2005, 04:41 PM

Top 1% is super genius? Cool, didn't know that.

By the way, there actually is a somewhat reasonable means of "estimating" your IQ. SAT scores have a very high correlation to IQ. The scale varies for the different SAT "eras" (for example a test score of 1600 before 1995 means zero answers omitted or answered incorrectly, while a test scare of 1600 after 1995 can mean up to four questions not answered or answered incorrectly, I believe). Google it if you care.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:45 PM

Since my opinion seems to be so hilarious, how about a serious wager. For the nominal fee of $18 Mensa will provide anyone with a do-it-at-home honor system IQ test. This is a pre-qualification test to take the monitored Mensa IQ test. You pick the players, have them take the test, then mail you their IQ results. If they correllate I'll send everybody their $18 fee. If not, you pick up the tab. You can post the results and the players of your choosing will get a free IQ test. I'll trust you to determine a players poker skills (assign them a Poker IQ) and then compare Poker IQ to Mensa IQ. We can also have a pool and/or sidebet on the outcome. I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:49 PM

i think that 99% of the tests on the internet are juiced, there is no way 30% of the people here are from 130-140, they may not be lying about their test scores but the tests are off then. I've taken a bunch of these an i get anywhere from the high 120s to the high 130s. I did well on the 35 question one most people look at but I can't do any of the "which one does not belong after unfolding" ones for [censored]. I suck at those.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:53 PM

Angry proposition wagers rock!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a member of Mensa IMHO intelligence and poker skills have zero correllation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Settle down, champ. I still believe you are smarter than 99% of the general population in this world. I was simply amused by how a Mensa super genius, such as yourself, would theorize that intelligence and poker skills have no correlation at all, and then conclude your statement by misspelling "correlation". That's all.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:24 PM

Dude making suggestions that are obviously never going to happen is pointless. To counter an argument worthy of 1% of the population, I have myself come up with the following masterful rebuttal: You're wrong.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:17 PM

Correlation is a more complicated concept than you are making it out to be. I think you're offering a foolish bet for the simple reason that I'm positive there's SOME correlation between intelligence and poker ability; I highly doubt that you'll find that the results of the two tests are completely independent. There are perhaps other variables that will do better - I'd imagine amount of experience playing is probably quite good, because the more experienced players will have learned the skills and also benefit from a selection bias (busting out) that removes the crappy players from playing truly long periods of time, most of the time.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:20 PM

yeah id be willing to bet 5000 that there is a correlation.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a member of Mensa IMHO intelligence and poker skills have zero correllation. I think it is correct to say that first one needs an aptitude for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that intelligence and "aptitude for poker" are strongly correlated. Or correllated.

Most people in my high school statistics class had no clue what they were doing (and this was an Advanced Placement class...!) I can't even imagine them trying to estimate their pot equity against an opponent's range of hands.