Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: I can\'t take this life anymore

I've never known anyone who attempted suicide, failed, and wasn't happy (s)he failed.

Good luck with everything.

--Nate
Old 11-06-2005, 02:31 AM

Just chiming in to say that depression is a biological problem and that there is absolutely no shame whatsoever in seeing a doctor about it. You aren't "admitting weakness" at all by seeking professional help.

If you had a chemical imbalance in your stomach that caused you tons of pain, would you think it "weak" to see a doctor about it? Of course not. So why is your brain an exception?

Good luck. See a doctor, please.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had a chemical imbalance in your stomach that caused you tons of pain, would you think it "weak" to see a witchdoctor about it? Of course not. So why is your brain an exception?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

The problem is the M.D. may do long term damage by messing with a biological system with which he has very little real understanding. But the possiblity of massive short term self inflicted damage must be weighed against this.

Personally I would try everthing up to and including paying for sex as an initial depression treatment, as lack of intimacy and sex is a sufficient cause for depression.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:24 AM

You can and will get through this. Definitely see a psychiatrist. Weakness is being too insecure to recognize that you can get help and then pwn life, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

If I don't take anti-depression medication for a few weeks then I can easily tell the difference and can lapse into depression very easily even though I really really enjoy my life. The medication doesn't make me happy....it just makes me neutral. I make myself happy. However, without it, it's like a huge uphill battle to fight off sadness, loneliness, and helplessness.

I spent most of my high school days staying up until 4am staring at walls and playing stupid video games thinking about how big of a worthless, pathetic loser I was. People at school told me every day how much of one I was. And every day I'd internalize it and it would feed my depression more and more, [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Ever since I started taking medication and started spending my life around people who I felt comfortable with and liked (starting with college), I actually can take pride and pleasure in day to day activities and my life in general. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'd be more than happy to discuss anything you'd like....don't hesitate to pm me if there is anything you want to talk about. Like Jman (who I must say is a very cool guy) I'd be more than willing to chat it up on AIM. You're certainly not alone in this world.....it's time you stopped feeling like you are.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 11-06-2005, 05:38 AM

I'm no doctor, but my advice is pretty simple. Don't be afraid of meeting new people or getting to know people. Don't be afraid that they'll "think you're a loser". Trust me, they'll only think that if you believe it yourself.

An easy way to meet people is to join a club or class of some sort. Even something as simple as a yoga class or softball team or something. Anything. Pick something that you want to try. This will give you a structured time to interact with people. This way you won't have to feel shy about asking people if they want to go out or whatever. Just be friendly, be yourself, and get to know some of the people.

Second piece of advice. Go out and do something new. Something you've never done before. Or go somewhere you've never been before. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend going on a short vacation to a country you haven't been to. I spent the last year traveling to a bunch of different countries. It was the most incredible experience of my life. To see different cultures and new things. It's truley amazing.

If you want to talk about any thing else, holla over my way any time. Best of luck, buddy.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:04 AM

Oh, and if you wanna avoid poker (which might be a good idea) come on down to the OOT forum, nary a word of real poker talk in there, and believe me, there is no way you'll be considered a loser in there!

but seriously, as a secondary note to the good advice of taking a hobby, you might want to take one that involves high energy expenditure.

I used to feel like I did nothing when I was inside all day, even while doing work/making money, so I started jogging, and I hated it, but now its a good release valve.

I wasnt kidding about pming me, hit me up and we'll talk on aim or something.

later!
Old 11-06-2005, 02:40 PM

Good luck and I hope you go for help as soon as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
my relationship to parents is bad and they have kept saying all these years how bright I am and I just must keep fighting and someday my life will became better because I'm still young, but somehow I feel like they just don't wanna see me anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I don't really have any idea what you or your relationship with your parents is like. Maybe they just don't know the right things to do or say for you, or don't understand how you feel, but would be aching to help anyway they could.

I'm always looking for someone new to bug on IM, so if you are interested PM me.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you had a chemical imbalance in your stomach that caused you tons of pain, would you think it "weak" to see a witchdoctor about it? Of course not. So why is your brain an exception?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

The problem is the M.D. may do long term damage by messing with a biological system with which he has very little real understanding. But the possiblity of massive short term self inflicted damage must be weighed against this.

Personally I would try everthing up to and including paying for sex as an initial depression treatment, as lack of intimacy and sex is a sufficient cause for depression.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is both ignorant and appalling.

Firstly, even if MDs don't understand how the brain works, there's no reason they can't treat it as a black box and discover experimentally whether certain types of depression respond to certain chemical treatments. In fact, this is probably the best way to do it, since keeping the patient alive prohibits cracking their skull open and poking around.

Furthermore, the empirical evidence demonstrates beyond a doubt that Prozac and other antidepressant drugs are an enormously helpful tool to people with depression and other psychological problems. Many of them have unpleasant side effects, but for most antidepressants, these are mainly physical, not psychological.

Finally, why the hell would you choose this particular thread of all threads to spout your garbage? It's obvious that the OP has gotten similar nonsense from his parents and believes it to some extent himself. Why would you try to deter him from getting help, especially when the odds are much better than even that with a combination of medication and talk therapy his depression could be completely or mostly cured?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, why the hell would you choose this particular thread of all threads to spout your garbage? It's obvious that the OP has gotten similar nonsense from his parents and believes it to some extent himself. Why would you try to deter him from getting help, especially when the odds are much better than even that with a combination of medication and talk therapy his depression could be completely or mostly cured?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I was unclear in that post, but I don't believe drug treatment should be the initial treatment for depression. Furthermore, in the event it is determined that the suicide risk is imminent and valid, drugs such as prozac can in certain cases increase the risk of suicide rather than decrease it.

Finally, I believe getting laid, while not being a cure for depression, probably cannot hurt much if certain basic precautions are taken.

You do realize that all psychotropic drugs have been banned in the UK for minors because of the increased risk of suicide, don't you? With the exception of wellbutrin, I think.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I was unclear in that post, but I don't believe drug treatment should be the initial treatment for depression. Furthermore, in the event it is determined that the suicide risk is imminent and valid, drugs such as prozac can in certain cases increase the risk of suicide rather than decrease it.

Finally, I believe getting laid, while not being a cure for depression, probably cannot hurt much if certain basic precautions are taken.

You do realize that all psychotropic drugs have been banned in the UK for minors because of the increased risk of suicide, don't you? With the exception of wellbutrin, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware that Prozac can have side effects, but all drugs have side effects, particularly for kids. Aspirin can kill kids, but I don't hear you denouncing analgesic-providers as witch doctors. (Although those guys don't known much about how their drugs work either...) Hell, I almost died from taking amoxycillin when I was a kid, but that's still prescribed for things as trivial as ear infections.

I'm not denying that there are problems with psych meds. They suck. But judging from the OP, they would be a vast improvement on where he currently is. And the best way to deal with Prozac's side effects is the way all other side effects are dealt with... consultation with a doctor.