Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: You rate your top 10 NCAA Teams

Old 11-20-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Michigan is a wash, both teams won in Ann Arbor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being too kind. ND basically owned the Michigan game from start to finish, while OSU needed a big time 4th quarter comeback for their win.

[/ QUOTE ]

ND only won 17-10, and Henne fumbled on the goaline which would have tied the game. Our defense looked fantastic during that game, but our offense was less than impressive. I think a wash is definately fair in this case.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares about preseason? We have the actual season to go by now.

Also, what major conference does Navy play in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great points buddy...I'm convinced
Old 11-20-2005, 09:51 PM

I think Texas is the better team. Texas has crushed the teams it's faced, and crushed them badly ever since Week 2 against OSU. USC has struggled a bit, and while their offense is astounding, they dig themselves into holes early, and their defense is not great. Against Texas, I think they might dig themselves in to too deep of a hole.

Virginia Tech has only one loss, they've played a pretty decent schedule, and despite that loss being pretty bad and recent they're still a good team.

I think SEC is overrated, so that's why LSU is way down there. I just don't see the strong nonconference wins to compare it against other teams.

And Oregon's played a much tougher schedule than Fresno State overall.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot how imagine a reasonable, thinking human being would come to the conclusion that Notre Dame would beat Ohio State, or even Virginia Tech or Georgia. Playing a mostly cake schedule and being on TV a lot apparently makes up for, you know, being good at football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing how you say this about ND, and use UGA as an example of a team that is better. Playing a mostly cake schedule and being on TV a lot apparently makes up for, you know, being good at football.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:17 PM

Based on the OP's basis for ranking teams, I don't have LSU in my top ten
Old 11-20-2005, 10:34 PM

Do you honestly believe Louisville could beat LSU?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:41 PM

1. USC
2. Texas
3. Penn State
4. Ohio State
5. LSU
6. Notre Dame
7. Auburn
8. Fresno St.
9. Va. Tech
10. Georgia
Old 11-20-2005, 10:55 PM

As far as the SEC being overrated, we are to far apart to even communicate effectively beyond agreeing to disagree. But I'm going to be argumentative anyhow. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] SEC teams suffer from the same problem Big 10 teams have. They are very strong but have to play each other so much they pull each other down like crabs in a barrell, with a level of competition so high that it's nearly impossible to have an undefeated record. (Put Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, or Arkansas in the Big East and they are condenders -- easily bowl eligable. Put South Carolina in there and they take the conference!)

However, consider the crap those kids from LSU have put up with this season. The one game they lost (TN), I remember well, they had a player down with dehydration cramps every other play in the second half. They became sluggish and lethargic. Why? They were not conditioned. Why not? No regular practice schedule due to the Hurricane. I think what LSU has done this year is AMAZING. They have found a way to win every game by the skin of thier teeth, with the exception of the TN game where they ran out of gas. I am biased, true, since I live in Baton Rouge, but that has allowed me some insight into how much effect Katrina had on this area.

I'm not trying to make excuses for them losing to TN. They are clearly not in the class of TX or USC. (Just as Auburn was not in USC's class last year.)
Old 11-20-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you honestly believe Louisville could beat LSU?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Honestly, I sort of think I shouldn't have put LSU in the top ten at all.

LSU has only one convincing win over any opponent who's even mediocre (Vanderbilt). They lost to Tennessee, who has proven to be no good.

LSU's toughest games were at home against a good Auburn team, where they won in overtime, at home against a decent Florida team, where they won by 4, and on the road against a good (but overrated by the media) Alabama team, where they won in overtime. I think they're fairly lucky not to have lost any of those.

They're also lucky they didn't lose at Arizona State, where their last-minute win included a bad call on the final 4th-down TD.

Louisville lost to South Florida, which is a better team than Tennessee. Granted, they had a horrible game and got crushed. They also lost at a good West Virginia team in triple OT. Other than that, they've been stomping the hell out of everyone. On a neutral field, I think they'd win.

The SEC is a fraud. I do think LSU is their best team, and Auburn and "u"ga (with Shockley) are good too.

P.S. Nice avatar. The theme song to that show is so sick.