Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Please reply after voting...
Check 6 75.00%
Raise 0 0%
Push 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Buying Kane\'s Hand History Database

[ QUOTE ]
If I know how you play then how do you continue to make a living?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh. I'm sorry, but this is really funny.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:42 PM

Well I'm being serious and perhaps small brained. But this is giving me the same vibe as that Carleton Sheets real estate show on tv. I mean, why would Carleton be telling me this info to make $ if he could just be out there doing it himself. There are people like this in poker who prolly don't beat the games well but do lots of "teaching" to get paid...cough cough, Phil Gorden and Mike Caro come to mind...cough cough...

Indy
Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 PM

dude this really does not require that much deliberation. the money should not really be a factor, either it is going to help your game or it isn't.

--turnipmonster
Old 11-04-2005, 02:45 PM

[censored]. there are only 1000s of players to play against, who cares if he gives his db to a couple 2+2ers, are you [censored] serious?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And yes 200NL is easily beatable for 10PTBB/100....

EDIT : in fact I wrote 10PTBB/100 to avoid being flamed I believe even higher results are sustainable but it I guess its not easy.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what is your grounding for these statements?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:49 PM

Yah, unfortunately I am serious. The best SNGers (eg ZEEJUSTIN) will not release their hand histories for this very reason. I guess there is more flexibility in cash games so perhaps its not as detrimental.

Indy
Old 11-04-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I'm being serious and perhaps small brained. But this is giving me the same vibe as that Carleton Sheets real estate show on tv. I mean, why would Carleton be telling me this info to make $ if he could just be out there doing it himself. There are people like this in poker who prolly don't beat the games well but do lots of "teaching" to get paid...cough cough, Phil Gorden and Mike Caro come to mind...cough cough...

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no simple algorithm for playing poker. You can see all the games of chess Kasparov has played; do you think having reviewed them you would have an advantage over him? Hell, he's not even telling you his thinking (except on hands where he is stacked somewhat). I think the DB is a great deal, because you can actually see how a player who is successful at a very high level plays, but to think that becuase you can see his hole cards and action on the hands means you can understand everything he knows about the game AND think quickly enough and accurately enough at the table to act in accordance with his theories, not to mention all the things you wont get from watching hands, like reading players or hands, is a pretty big leap of faith. If anyone could do that, they probably would not need this database to beat the big NL games.

(The real value here will be in the lines that you have never employed. Like "wow, KKF checks behind half the time in this sort of spot. I never do that, I need to think about this line and figure out why he does this and if I should.")
Old 11-04-2005, 04:05 PM

Kane,
do you plan on selling this to anyone, even players who play the biggest UB games with you?

if so, doesnt this worry you at all? i can see why selling this to many 2-4 through 5-10 players wouldnt really affect your game but what if GOG, bruiser, diablo, and SR wanted them?

jus curious

-cas
Old 11-04-2005, 05:10 PM

I didnt really make this a big point at the beginning of all of this because i didnt think people would get hooked on numbers like this which really dont matter.

Didn't mean to hijack, I have been considering playing a lot more NL online, and I'm glad I ran across this. When you factor in the learning curve and everything, this would have almost certainly have been -ev for me, and the future dividends I'd be hoping for seem to just not be there.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:12 PM

His winrate is only a little over 3 bb per 100 hands. Are you f'n kidding me!?!? In the 2000nl my winrate is over 10 bb per 100 hands after 40k hands. I do play short handed of course...