Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Re: One More

They did this because a population of unorganized armed citizens can be ineffective when need to overthrow a corrupt government, and they can be dangerous as hell.

So what is needed is a well regulated militia in case the government becomes corrupt. Just like they said.

Too bad that the militia they were talking about never developed and as the government became more and more corrupt, the government made sure that this militia could never develop. (via anti-terrorism laws, although they weren't called that 200 years ago.)

I love when anti-gun politicians insist that the amendment says "Well regulated Militia" and not "right to bear arms"

I want to say, "Then where the Heck is my militia at?"

Old 05-08-2003, 04:18 PM

The second amendment has to be one of the dumbest on record (rates up there with the one that gave us federal taxation).

Well regulated militia - regulated by whom the government that this militia is supposed to be policing. HA!

It has basically given every kook NRA member the ammo (pun intended) to say he/she has the right to buy assault rifles, howitzers etc, without any govt oversight. If that was the intent, they should have just said people have the right to buy the guns.

Bush finally has done something right in supporting the extension to assault rifle legislation due to expire next year.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:30 PM

Well if the government is not going to provide the people a well regulated militia per the 2nd amendment, then I think that EVERY Citizen should have not only an assault rifle, but a certain percentage should have Tanks, planes, and artillery.

I can name you 10 countries off the top of my head that the population was unarmed and taken control by a government/army/minority population that was armed. It could happen in the US and there would be nothing the citizens could do about it.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Getting back to poker

Now if I can only avoid snapping at the bait in the tourney [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 04:54 PM

Just my opinion, but I view this as being the constitution defining that the several states cannot restrict the right to bear arms.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:00 PM

The problem is, that when you make guns illegal, other than the government, only the kooks and criminals will have them. Law-abiding citizens, by definition will not have guns, and criminals, by definition, won't care that they're breaking the law.

Read "More Guns, Less Crime" by John Lott - U. of Chicago

To date, *every* state that has passed a concealed-carry law has experienced a drop in violent crime.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:51 PM

Please note that i have not stated that guns should be legal or illegal.

I have stated that the amendment is one of the the worst precisely because it does not state what the intent is.

I have also stated that it has given the kooky NRA types ammo to try and prevent any type of restrictions on gun ownership.

As in any debate (as opposed to advocacy) my personal view points are not important - i am certain i can argue both sides equally passionately.

I tend to see more advocacy and little debate in these forums or in general political discourse.