Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: White robe sighting

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is, why Beer and Pizza's view about Rosa Park is the real Rosa Park and why a different view is a built up image of her?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say this is a "problem". I'd say it's normal debate. He holds one opinion, others hold a different opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
If you or him are so sure that the following quote happened

"It was arranged ahead of time that she would refuse to leave her seat, and they knew no harm would come to her. She was just the lucky person picked to be the "symbol" of the bus boycott."

Why then just present the study where is proved? Who did the study or research? The methodology?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know if Beer's side is correct. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Plus this isn't exactly something there'd be a "study" on. It's either true or untrue.

[ QUOTE ]
He made that claim, the burden of the proof is on him, frankly, Don't you think this way is easier to prove your claim instead of just keep repeating it?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right. The burden is on him to show this. He did point to Rosa Parks biography, previously. I haven't read her biography so I can't comment on the correctness of Beer's statement.

Regardless, some in this thread have acted very immaturely, imo, by calling Beer a racist. That's a very strong term to be throwing around and to do so because you don't understand the other person's point is very inappropriate, wouldn't you agree?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
some in this thread have acted very immaturely, imo, by calling Beer a racist

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there were a number of choices offered for B & P's dismissive posts regarding Ms Parks, only one of them was that he was a racist.

He is welcome to let us know which of the others he thinks is more accurate (once he understands why he is wrong ofcourse).
Old 10-26-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: LOL

[ QUOTE ]
You are right. Since Ced is black and he spoke about other black people, he must be right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did I say he was right? Plus it was in the movie Barbershop, but obviously the director (who was also black) had him say it in a serious manner. It's not whether he's right or wrong. It's that other people (black people nonetheless) have similar feelings as Beer and it is silly to call him racist for those feelings.

[ QUOTE ]
B&P made some as-of-yet unsubstantiated claims in his post that contradict conventional wisdom about what went down that day. If he at least offered some references to his version of how things went down, we could have a reasonable argument.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to defend the "planned in advance" part because I don't know if it's true or not. But instead of personally attacking someone by calling them a racist, perhaps we could try being civil about it? You can't have a reasonable argument if you call the other person a racist before they try to back up their claim, now can you?

My contribution to this thread has been to 1) get people to stop with the racist nonsense and 2) introduce the fact this the idea that Rosa Parks has been built up into a symbol is shared by others, some who happen to also be black.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are right. Since Ced is black and he spoke about other black people, he must be right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did I say he was right? Plus it was in the movie Barbershop, but obviously the director (who was also black) had him say it in a serious manner. It's not whether he's right or wrong. It's that other people (black people nonetheless) have similar feelings as Beer and it is silly to call him racist for those feelings.

[ QUOTE ]
B&P made some as-of-yet unsubstantiated claims in his post that contradict conventional wisdom about what went down that day. If he at least offered some references to his version of how things went down, we could have a reasonable argument.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to defend the "planned in advance" part because I don't know if it's true or not. But instead of personally attacking someone by calling them a racist, perhaps we could try being civil about it? You can't have a reasonable argument if you call the other person a racist before they try to back up their claim, now can you?

My contribution to this thread has been to 1) get people to stop with the racist nonsense and 2) introduce the fact this the idea that Rosa Parks has been built up into a symbol is shared by others, some who happen to also be black.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the discussion can be more civil, but B & P made some rather inflammatory remarks, and much of the inflammation (so to speak) could have been avoided if he attempted to substantiate his claims (which, to this point I might add, he hasn't).
I don't like throwing around the term racist either, but his choice of words was certainly curious if he was trying to initiate a civil discussion about Rosa Parks.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Rosa Parks takes the bus

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome, because everyone knows that skyrocketing use of heroin and meth among teens is good for families.

Friggin jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are the jackass. You obviously don't know a damn thing about prohibition or drug use.

natedogg
Old 10-26-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway... I'm sure that in your particular mind frame, it is grating that all 'em uppity negros got ahead of themselves, caused all sorts of trouble down South and finally won their daymn Civil Rahts Act. I'm also sure that pictures (in magazines or, probably, mental) of black males fondling and doing other stuff to tender, succulent white female flesh gets you all upset.

That is what's nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a totally juvenile and ignorant set of statements.

natedogg
Old 10-26-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Rosa Parks takes the bus

[ QUOTE ]
If you (in general) weren't such a bunch of God Damned Pussies, you'd protest prohibition the Rosa Parks way: Just use your drug of choice in the open. This is nothing to be ashamed of at all. That's the only way things will ever change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't use drugs.

And you're wrong. The only way anything will ever change is if all these freakin morons stop voting for drug warriors. That's the only way. Period.

natedogg
Old 10-26-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Hit

[ QUOTE ]
What a totally juvenile and ignorant set of statements.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's called the needle.

And it hit the spot.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:28 AM

Default The R-word

Beer and Pizza posted the following:

[ QUOTE ]
[Rosa Parks] was used to integrate the buses, but she didn't do much of anything. She was a pawn for a movement. It was arranged ahead of time that she would refuse to leave her seat, and they knew no harm would come to her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is not at all what we know from History, I suggested this to Beer an Pizza:

[ QUOTE ]
Only someone who does not know [Rosa Parks'] life story or is an unreconstructed racist would claim [that].

[/ QUOTE ]

I also gave him another opening here:

[ QUOTE ]
When someone describes Rosa Parks as a "passive person" and a "pawn", as you did, then that person is (a) a lousy speaker of English, (b) out of his f*cking mind, or (c) a racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you can see, I gave Beer and Pizza some serious outs! He would not necessarily be a racist for posting such negative and dismissive comments about the struggle of black people in America for civil rights; he could very well have been ignorant of Parks' life story and the details of the bus incident (nothing wrong with that at all). Or he could not know the exact meaning of the wrods he was using. But Beer and Pizza insisted that, not only did he know her life story well, he implied that he knew what happened better than the official record!

So, I think it is fair to say that when Beer and Pizza cannot substantiate his smears, despite being repeatedly invited to, and when one takes into consideration the generally disparaging view taken by Beer and Pizza as regards the civil rights movement in America, then one can start thinking that Beer and Pizza's comments might have been somewhat ...prejudiced.

And this is where I thought I saw a white robe flashing by. Perhaps it was a reflexion on the car window.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:32 AM

I also heard that there was a plan in place to challenge the Bus seating law and that Parks was among those asked to help. The timing would of course depend on when the opportunity presented itself.

At least two women were arrested before Parks was. At least one, Mary Louise Smith, was rejected as the test case because of rumors of her father's alcoholism. This suggests that the Parks arrest was not completely random and unexpected, and that there was in fact a "plan." (note, this was a cursory search - I'm sure one could find much more)

Hetron, this was easy to find information, you shouldn't go around staining another poster's reputation for not providing links for every claim they make, when you could do it yourself. You posted about 4 times complaining of no links to evidence, without lifting a finger yourself to find any.
[b]
The political correctness of this board disgusts me. Calling someone a racist without legitimate basis is the politics of personal destruction. Shame on many of you, you did not live up to your basic humanity today.