Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 03:59 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Raymer and BIG STACK poker...

i'm sure paluka believes he's shooting straight on this one, but he's also a hardcore vegetarian and into highly esoteric music. i'm challenged to think there isn't a measure of directed non-conformity in play here. most of us have it to some degree. that's an indefensible 'point' for him to address so it could seem like a cheap shot but i'm not trying to do that.

i'm not tearing down his points or trying to sidestep them, i respect his views on the matter and acknowledge that this could and probably has caused raymer to be overrated. i just think it would be cool if this post caused him to look more deeply at his reasons than his position.

for what it's worth, i'm elated about raymer's success at this stage and i hope he wins. so that's my perspective. he seems like a great player and a great guy, and an achievement like this is just cool to watch. i'm always particularly impressed with how many opportunities greg is given to pat himself on the back or rate himself higher but he doesn't. i don't like sports either but the home run record stuff was fun to watch too.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raymer may be top 5 at playing large tournaments filled with dead money.

He's hardly a top 5 cash game player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious......Upon what do you base your opinion?

If your response starts with something like......."I've heard.....", or "I've been told".......or any other second or third hand opinion.....

....please don't bother responding.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm always particularly impressed with how many opportunities greg is given to pat himself on the back or rate himself higher but he doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a cardplayer video yesterday, Raymer said it was at least 80-1 against for him to win.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So we all saw Greg put on a CLINIC last year in the main event when it comes to playing with a big stack. The final table was filled with little known pros and amateurs (besides Harrington) and Greg was able to shine as he worked his way to the finish line.

Will <font color="red">(edit: WOULD)</font> he be able to play the same game against the "big names" who are preceived to be world class players that are left in the field <font color="red">were it</font> to come down to more of a star-studded final table?? Ivey? Lederer? Juanda? Matusow? JC Tran?

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since his final table clinic was based around drawing out on people, I suppose its possible he can do that again.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:13 PM

That's the way I saw it.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:18 PM

Raymer in the Cardplayer Article Claimed to only take 2 bad beats over the 2004 win. I'm guessing the Aces suck out on TV was one of them, and I'm guessing a hand we didn't see on TV was another. I've experienced 2 bad beats in a 2 hand "period." For Raymer to avoid Bad Beats, play good poker, win coin flips, he was destined to win. He outplayed the field when he was big, he's a good, now, he is easily seen as a great player. But it's not that hard to win tournaments if you have these things going for you.

A) Above Average / Really Good Skill
B) Win a Ton of Coinflips
C) Suck out Once in a while
D) Have a huge chip advantage
E) Bully the Table
F) Avoid Bad Beats during the entire Tourney
Old 07-12-2005, 04:22 PM

" down to 10 players, and playing to the final 9 before stopping for the night, many players were only playing to avoid the cut. During that time, he was stealing as much as he could."

There are quite a few $11 SNG players that know enough to do this as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:27 PM

I read his book two weeks ago. He was a total lucky fluke winner with a horseshoe up his ass. He is your basic degenerate gambler with limited poker skills.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raymer may be top 5 at playing large tournaments filled with dead money.

He's hardly a top 5 cash game player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious......Upon what do you base your opinion?

If your response starts with something like......."I've heard.....", or "I've been told".......or any other second or third hand opinion.....

....please don't bother responding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you claiming Raymer is a top 5 cash game player? I can list 5 players better than him:

Barry Greenstein
Phil Ivey
Chip Reese
Chau Giang
Doyle Brunson
Old 07-12-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pokerstars typically has a live "broadcast" of the final table. It looks like an MTT table, with the names of the WSOP players on it. As bets/showdowns are made on the real final table, the Stars table is updated.

[/ QUOTE ]

very interesting ... i didn't know this. I don't suppose that this could be re-created with hand histories?

I'm very interested in watching this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The quality last year was really poor. Took forever to update, I think a few of the hands didn't even show up. Could have been user error, but I don't think so.

Last year's final table was a snore-fest, imo. And thinking that anyone could ever win this event with a field this large without getting extremely lucky is silly.

Nobody is "outplaying" the field.