Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Why do people love israel so much??

Personally I can't decide anything. But I agree with the world community (whatever that means) in their decision to not allow them to have them.

If there is such a thing as fighting honorably, the Arabs don't.

If they had nukes, they would strap them on the back of a 10 year old boy, and send him into a civilian establishment or school.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, bookmark this MMMMMM :

I despise Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia (I can extend the list if necessary....).

It is the whole "which is more despicable?"-attitude I am trying to attack because it is often used to defend "minor despicabilities" (not a valid word, but you get my meaning). It is a very defensive, pessimistic approach to policy and development; in a time where more resources, knowledge, consciousness on this issues etc. is available than at any previous time in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, noted;-)

IF you're going to TAKE SIDES, though (and you apparently are taking sides), why not side with the party which is LESS despicable???
Old 10-28-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who are you to decide which nations are allowed to have power andwhich are not?

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet again, the golden rule applies here. He who has the gold(power) makes the rules.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So which more merits scorn and condemnation: the human rights abuses conducted by Israel, or the human rights abuses conducted by Israel's neighboring countries?

[/ QUOTE ]

List the countries you want included.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any Middle Eastern country which has laws denying full human rights to non-Muslims; which regularly practices actual torture (not merely abuse); which practices capital punishment on persons of minor age; which denies religious freedom; or which imprisons persons purely for political reasons.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, bookmark this MMMMMM :

I despise Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia (I can extend the list if necessary....).

It is the whole "which is more despicable?"-attitude I am trying to attack because it is often used to defend "minor despicabilities" (not a valid word, but you get my meaning). It is a very defensive, pessimistic approach to policy and development; in a time where more resources, knowledge, consciousness on this issues etc. is available than at any previous time in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, noted;-)

IF you're going to TAKE SIDES, though (and you apparently are taking sides), why not side with the party which is LESS despicable???

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many conflicts/subconflicts here (internal Jewish and Arab power struggle etc.) but in the "main" conflict between Israel and the palestinians my sympathise list goes something like this:

1. Average Palestinian guy. Suppressed by a powerful apartheid nation.
2. Jews who don't support apartheid. May be coincidentially subject to a terror attack.

On my non-sympathy list:
1. Hamas. Killing indisriminately.
2. Israeli state. Systematically oppressing a people.
3. Hamas-supporters.
4. Jewish settlers.
5. Jews voting for apartheid.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So which more merits scorn and condemnation: the human rights abuses conducted by Israel, or the human rights abuses conducted by Israel's neighboring countries?

[/ QUOTE ]

List the countries you want included.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any Middle Eastern country which has laws denying full human rights to non-Muslims; which regularly practices actual torture (not merely abuse); which practices capital punishment on persons of minor age; which denies religious freedom; or which imprisons persons purely for political reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe backpedalling a bit, but I thought at some countries and comparing is really difficult, it is a bit complex. I.e. Syria can go to drastic means against certain groups but does not interfere too much into the life of the average individual, Iran treats Jews worse than they threat Christians, Israel respects most of the rights of Israeli Arabs, but not palestinians etc.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are many conflicts/subconflicts here (internal Jewish and Arab power struggle etc.) but in the "main" conflict between Israel and the palestinians my sympathise list goes something like this:

1. Average Palestinian guy. Suppressed by a powerful apartheid nation.
2. Jews who don't support apartheid. May be coincidentially subject to a terror attack.

On my non-sympathy list:
1. Hamas. Killing indisriminately.
2. Israeli state. Systematically oppressing a people.
3. Hamas-supporters.
4. Jewish settlers.
5. Jews voting for apartheid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty close to this too.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, why do people have such strong feelings towards Israel?

Israel was created only 60 years ago, and yet many people talk about itas if it has always existed. The terms of it's inception are similar to the Indians taking back a chunk of the US because they lived there once. Why do the Jews deserve their own state at all? The Palestinians dont have their own state, the Catholics dont have their own state, the kurds dont have their own state, etc. What makes the Jews sospecial that they get their own country adn allowed to rule over a people who were already living there. Makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

The United States was only created a couple of centuries ago. Viewed in the context of the history of the world, the difference of when the U.S. was created and when Israel was created is a blink of an eye. I was only created about three decades ago, so both existed equally at birth. I love my country, the U.S., and I do love Israel, as much as the actions of the right-wing extremists there frustrate me. Surely it is obvious that some extremists there have done awful things, just as surely some Palestinian extremists have done awful things. But at the same time, Israel the most stable democracy in that part of the world. And that Democracy does include palestinians and arabs, even in the Knesset. Israel is certainly not perfect, but its imperfections don't even hold a dimly lit candle to Syria or Iran or Saddam's Iraq. And I say this as a liberal extremist in the U.S. who totally hates the Iraq war and everything about Bush's foreign policy. It's a tragedy that there is no religious tolerance in the Middle East, but the destruction of Israel is not the answer. Rather, the foundations of liberalization in the Middle East will be the establishment of a Palestinian state and the establishment of a peaceful relationship between a coexisting Israel and Palestine. Building a welathy and democratic and peaceful Palestine next to Israel will do far more for our interests than what we're trying (and failing) to do in Iraq.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not afraid of Jews blowing up my city (NYC), I am afraid of Muslims terrorists blowing up my city, as they have already done. Pretty simple. I'm on Isreal's side, and I am glad the US supports it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-28-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Arabs, Jews, and Cheeseburgers...........

Why do people love Israel so much?
Hmmmmmmmm......I think it is more that people don't like Arabs.
It is kind of like the guy that said he is a vegetarian NOT because he loved animals but because he hated plants. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]