FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW- For those of you who don't think tipping is part of the bill, STFU. Servers don't get a paycheck. They have to declare how much money they rang up and it gets taxed out of the paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, no [censored]! So that means if i don't leave a tip, that I help the waiter save on taxes!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he pays taxes. When you ring in a meal, it gets tallied. So lets say that at the end of the work week, you have $1000 in meals. You have to declare at least 8% or the IRS comes looking for you. So that means you need to declare at least $80 in tips. Whether or not you get tipped, you need to declare $80. So when you are a cheap bastard and don't tip, you cost your server money.
BTW-If you continually only declare 8%, the IRS WILL come looking for you. Most do 10%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is right. the 8% only applies as substitute for keeping records. That is in the absence of records they would declare 8&. However if the person kept records of their tips and it totaled below 8% they would be able to declare the actual amount of income they recieved. There is no tax law that could require you to pay tax on income you did earn. I'm not 100% certain as I worked in audit and not tax but I am fairly sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are probably right, but I have never met a server who kept a record of all the tips recieved. They just declare 10 to 12% of the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, that's rather stupid, isn't it?
Old 10-15-2005, 06:58 AM

Who said I wouldn't? I'm not sure why you would assume that. I have done so in the past and I would do it again. In a line you yourself quoted, I noted that I would be happy to speak to the manager.

However, you can't force the wait staff to produce a manager, and you don't owe the restaurant the undertaking of the unpleasant task, after an unpleasant meal, of extending the matter further.

Few people think of a confrontation as a desirable thing, especially when out for a meal with the family, a date, etc. I view it as a courtesy to the manager when I do make a complaint, because no business owner needs to have his own people undermining him. And I may actually like the food and the atmosphere quite a lot, except for the waitperson.

However, it is no more an obligation of the customer to help the manager run his business than it is for him to help keep the wait staff happy when they give bad service. Again, it would be a courtesy. And I have sometimes extended it. But most of the time, like most other people, if I don't like a place I simply don't come back. The invisible effect of bad service, to the owner. The waitperson probably loses the least out of the whole transaction.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:58 AM

How many posts does it take to be apart of this conversation?
Old 10-15-2005, 07:00 AM

If you've decided to just get into gain-saying and one liners, please pick someone else. That kind of competition can have no winners and no interest to anyone.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:03 AM

Default By the way,

do you feel the need to give back the tips that are overly generous or when you feel you did not give service good enough to warrant the tip given?

Didn't think so. Can't have it both ways.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:10 AM

This isn't at all what I'm saying and if you would take the time to read my other posts, you'd see that. I disagree with (what I see to be) your main contention that the reason Das Leben got stiffed was due to his poor service when all I've seen in this whole thread is a hell of a lot of people bend over backwards to justify the times when they haven't tipped.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:14 AM

Why you didn't say something intelligible like that instead of saying something useless like "You're wrong" is beyond me.

That said, "all I've seen"? You've still drifted away from speaking frankly and usefully. There's not a person who has read this thread, yourself included, that does not know that that's not all you've seen. What you are is off on a tear. Leave me out. Come back to the subject when you want to discuss it and not just be pissed and use hyperbole.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:25 AM

I honestly don't know what your motivations are or why you decided to mess with me, but I assure you I am totally calm. As much as I would love to discuss this matter further I am starting to think that the two of us ignoring each other is definitely the right decision. I wish you the best, and I wish you a pleasant evening.

Brian.

p.s. At the risk of sounding like an ass kisser, I really do respect your posts in the Politics forum. I truly wish you nothing but the best.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:44 AM

I'm amazed that no one else has proposed that, perhaps, they just FORGOT to leave a tip before leaving?

I'm a pretty decent tipper - 20-25% for good to great service, 15% for slightly disappointing service. The wait staff would have to be pretty atrocious for me to not tip (in fact, I can't remember doing it). But I know I've forgotten a few times and kicked myself when I realized it later.

It's certainly possible they were just cheap, or had some problem with Leben's service. But I'd imagine a lot of the time, customers aren't stiffing you -- they just forgot.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:56 AM

Many of my friends are waiters/waitresses (or have been at some point). Every single one of them refused to work at any restaurant that did not automatically include gratuity on the tab for parties of 6 or more (okay, sometimes 8 or more).

If you can, try to find a restaurant that has a similar policy.

You simply cannot afford to work your ass off for a party of ten people and not get paid for it. There are plenty of restaurants out there. Find one that isn't a lottery for large parties.