Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Shred political move - I think NOT.

I dont think this a shrewd move at all.
It was neither shrewd nor unshrewed. It was the ONLY way to get Bolton to the UN. It was obvious the senate comittee would not allow a vote to take place. The democrats and a few republicans were playing games and Bush43 did an end run around them using powers given him in the consitution.

This is a move that defines partisanship.
Yes, thank god. I'm sick of the republicans trying to work with the democrats. The democratic leadership has an agenda to block every move Bush makes. It analogous to running out the clock in a football game. Trying to work with the democrats is a waste of time.

A shrewd person would achieve the objectives under a bipartisan guise.
And a shrewd person realizes the Democrats are not interested in cooperation so the best strategy is to ignore them and watch them lose even more elections in the future.

It is one thing to be partisan about domestic agenda, it is quite another to politicize international affairs.
Sadly, the democrats care more about political partisan tactics to regain power than trying to work for the safety and security of the USA. The punchline is voters are getting ticked off at much of the Democrat leadership.
e.g. Robert Byrd (D, WV) has approval polls less than 50%. LOL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If Byrd gets defeated, this will be a HUGE VICTORY for the Republicans. Byrd is now into major damage control and he has not spoken out against Bush43 for almost 2 months now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Consider the backlash:
There will be no backlash except from sore loser democrats. A good pair of ear plugs will help the republicans to tune out the bitching of the democrats.

Note also that Republican moderate Colin Powell distances himself from this nomination and would not recommend it to the senate.
I think Colin Powell was a HORRIBLE Secretary of State. The only people that liked him were Bush and the democrats. After the State Dept enacted the "Visa Express" program that let Saudis into the USA without security checks or interviews, two of the 19 hijackers entered the USA thru this program. There were cries to take the Visa program from the State Dept and Give it to the Dept of Homeland Defense. The State Dept screamed bloody murder because the Visa program is a HUGE cash cow. Colin Powell lobbied Bush43 to let the State Dept keep it and Bush43 foolishly agreed.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: I Love Hanging Curve Balls

[ QUOTE ]
Complained equally? No; I'll admit it. I was a fan of Clinton, and I'm not a fan of Bush's - so I admit I'm biased.

But the public outrage in the Bolton case PRIOR to the recess appointment greatly outweighs the public outrage in the Lee case PRIOR to that recess appointment. I think Bush made a bigger political mistake, and I think Bolton has less of a mandate in his post compared to Lee.

But all that aside, the more important point is that both appointments stunk (stank?). Two wrongs don't make a right.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the public cared more about Bolton than Lee because of the media bias that always exists. The mainstream media gave Clinton a free pass on Lee because they agreed with his politics, but they don't like Bolton's, so he gets negative coverage. Read this piece about the different tone in the media's coverage of Bolton vs. Lee

http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2005/cyb20050802.asp#2
Old 08-03-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Shred political move - I think NOT.

[ QUOTE ]
Sadly, the democrats care more about political partisan tactics to regain power than trying to work for the safety and security of the USA. The punchline is voters are getting ticked off at much of the Democrat leadership.

[/ QUOTE ]
Felix, how can you not see that this is exactly what you were advoctaing before. You want the WH to use political tactics at the expense of our safety. The DOD seems to think that the money that one base in SD is sucking up could be better used elsewhere. You are advocating that the WH overrule what the military thinks is best in order to send some pork to a new senator. I think that's wrong.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ptmusic, perhaps the reason that servicepeople vote overwhelmingly for Republicans is because of groups like ANSWER who call our troops murderers. If I was in the service, I don't think I would like being called a murderer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't either. If ANSWER calls our troops (as a whole) murderers, that's horrible.

Anyway, I doubt ANSWER is the reason the military votes Republican. But if it were a factor, that further proves my point: the military votes for Republicans often for reasons that do not involve who is best for the military.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just ANSWER. It's the entire wacky left-wing that seems to loathe the military.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you lost me with that total generalization and denigration of a huge number of people in our nation.

-ptmusic
Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 AM

Well when was the last time someone on the left said anything good about the military, people on the left love to turn the military into politics which is wrong.