Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: I just don\'t get it...

Nice addition.

If someone replies to your post and doesn't have anything constructive to say, ignore them and move on, it's not worth the time or the effort to get into a pissing contest with. There are plenty of players who contribute and are willing to share knowledge with you.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I was just looking for some advice in general,

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't look directly into the sun.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not everyone here is a pro, or even a winning player, or even a decent human being so take that into consideration when reading posts. For example, Super Pro fits into all of the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

thread redeemed.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:27 PM

You were just very fortunate at lower levels.

These kinds of swings are very common. If you never had a downswing of 25BBs, you were either not paying attention, or you were incredibly lucky. I would guess that I have a downswing of that size every other day. Nearly every month, I have a downswing of at least 100 BBs, and most months, I have a swing of 150 BBS.

If you are playing aggressively, that will increase your volatility, and increase the chances that you will have swings of this level.

Your game should at least be survivable at the 2-4 level if you did well at lower levels, and you will probably need only minor adjustments.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:05 PM

I'll offer a couple of quick thoughts. I know people get tired of seeing threads like this, but I don't understand the harsh responses you're getting from the long-time SS posters. You guys all need to step back and remember times that you might have posted a dumb question on this site. Jeez. If you think it's a dumb post, just let it die.

Anyway...

I ran into the same issue when I moved up to 2-4. I really think it was just psychological more than anything. Simple variance and bad luck played a role, and when playing at a higher stake, losing a big pot was much more frustrating.

Finally I just said F-it and committed myself to playing 4-tables of it while I was clearing a bonus, and got used to the stakes rather quickly. At that point, I started to loosen up a bit, get more aggressive when needed, and played better overall.

So keep taking some shots, bankroll permitting. That's my advice.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:05 PM

A-Baum,

I'm sorry to see that you are being treated so rudely by a few posters. You came here with good intentions and shouldn't be attacked just because you lack some knowledge.

Poker is a tough game and it takes a long time to guarantee a win even if you are a great player. You are obviously very new to the game since you have not experienced any big swings yet.

I don't think you should be thinking about moving up at all. Just keep playing whatever level game you want until you find that you are no longer learning anything. Just focus on improving your game and don't worry about the money or moving up to higher limits.

I played 3/6 for years and just worked on learning as much as I could about the game and trying to put that knowledge into practice. There came a time where I didn't feel I was learning anything new and so I started to move up in order to challenge myself.

Even then, everytime you move up, some adjustment and learning is needed. The game may look the same, but it isn't.

It takes a lot of work and time to get really good at poker. There are a few freaks like GuyOnTilt or Bicyclekick who become great players quickly, but for most of us mortals we have to work at it.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your question is too general and mildly retarded. My answer is warranted. Try the search function. Try not being an a[/i]sshole right off the t[/i]its. You might make a few friends if you try real hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your answer is not warranted. You continuing to post in this thread is not warranted. I'm not really worried about making friends with people like yourself, but thanks anyway.

Simple question in the original post. A highly aggressive strategy works at the low limits, but for some reason doesn't carry over to the $2/$4. Players are better so they aren't paying off with crap like the low limit. How does that affect your strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely untrue.

I have KQ. I raise. 3 to the flop

it's JT8

I bet, donk raises, I 3bet, donk caps.

Turn JT98, two hearts, I c/r, donk 3bets, i cap

River JT983, no flush possible. I bet, donk raises, i 3bet, he caps.

I have K high straigt, he has J7 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you are really good, then you will win, you might be getting cold cards. Just try good table selection, and stay aggresive.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you read any of the books published by the company that runs this site? How about the one on small stakes hold 'em? jason has a helpful link for you above. Use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

5,000 hands is insignificant. If you are winning 4BB per after 50000 hands, that's different

Yeah I've read Winning Low Limit Hold'em, HPFAP, HOH, and I'm halfway through TOP. I've adapted a lot that I've learned to the $.50/$1 and $1/$2 5-6 max, and improved my BB/100 from 2.3 to what it is now by adopting an aggressive strategy and jamming pots when I have the best of it. I just don't see why this isn't appying to the $2/$4 table. I see people table garbage, so the level isn't much higher there than the smaller limits. Just not sure how to adjust.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-12-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It takes a lot of work and time to get really good at poker. There are a few freaks like GuyOnTilt or Bicyclekick who become great players quickly, but for most of us mortals we have to work at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for emphasis. This is an important point. There are a lot of great players on here who have moved up quickly. They are the exception though in many cases. Most people will have a harder time moving up, for a multitude of reasons.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow this thread sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you thank you thank you