Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post : KJo in LMP

Hey Krishan,

[ QUOTE ]
Button cold calls a raise preflop. Against the kinda guy who folds to check raises, I'll put his range at 22-TT, JTs, and other suited faces.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a little too narrow. Hands like A2s-ATs, AJ-A7o, KJs-K8s, KJo-K8o, medium suited connectors and one gappers, etc. are all possible here.

[ QUOTE ]
He calls the flop. Could be in order of likelyhood 88-22, JT, AcXc, a 9, a Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, too narrow. 88-22, KJ, KT, JT, A-high, pair of 9's, T8s, J8s, weak flush draw, etc. Lots and lots of hands here.

[ QUOTE ]
He calls the turn. I really doubt he has a 9 and I think it moderately unlikely that he has a Q. I still think a small pp is the overwhelming favorite. Could be in order of likelyhood 88-22, JT, AcXc, unlikely (a Q, a 9).

[/ QUOTE ]

As you said, trip 9's are very, very unlikely here. A weak suited Q is a possibility, though not nearly as likely as an under-pair, A high, straight draw, or a weak flush. I would put them in that order too.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think ace high folds here. It also seems unlikely that he has Ace high here. AT, AJ maybe but unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ace high folds here quite a lot in just about all games I play (this includes live small stakes games) by all but THEE loosest tier of players. I guess if you don't agree with that then you're not going to agree with this play, so there's really no point in going into any math or anything. So I'll just say that raising with A-high on double paired boards in chopping situations has a non-insignificant impact on my winrate. You have to find a good frequently and often call with it to show that you just call there with an Ace obviously, but these types of plays are solid at all levels I've ever played.

[ QUOTE ]
The same analysis holds true for you having AK, or AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it really doesn't. It shouldn't be hard to see why.

GoT
Old 06-12-2005, 08:05 AM

I agree my hand range might be a little too narrow. In my experience players aren't that likely to coldcall with Axs. I agree about the suited connectors and one gappers though.

If you include Axs as a possible cold calling hand, your line begins to look better.

[ QUOTE ]
Ace high folds here quite a lot in just about all games I play (this includes live small stakes games) by all but THEE loosest tier of players. I guess if you don't agree with that then you're not going to agree with this play, so there's really no point in going into any math or anything. So I'll just say that raising with A-high on double paired boards in chopping situations has a non-insignificant impact on my winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm convinced. I probably just haven't tried to push someone off Ace high on a double paired board enough yet to know it's efficacy. I'll give it a try. Great thread, thanks,

Krishan

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
The same analysis holds true for you having AK, or AJ.

No, it really doesn't. It shouldn't be hard to see why.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't figure this one out. It looks to me like the reasons to cr AJ/AK are the same as raising KJ. To push Villian off ace high. What am I missing?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ace high folds here quite a lot in just about all games I play (this includes live small stakes games) by all but THEE loosest tier of players. I guess if you don't agree with that then you're not going to agree with this play, so there's really no point in going into any math or anything. So I'll just say that raising with A-high on double paired boards in chopping situations has a non-insignificant impact on my winrate. You have to find a good frequently and often call with it to show that you just call there with an Ace obviously, but these types of plays are solid at all levels I've ever played.

[/ QUOTE ]

very interesting.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't figure this one out. It looks to me like the reasons to cr AJ/AK are the same as raising KJ. To push Villian off ace high. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if your opponent generally has a worse ace, you want to check-call, as check-raise will be a losing play, only getting called by worse hands. Check-raising KJ gets called by worse hands, but makes better hands fold which makes it worth it.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:48 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: I learned something

[ QUOTE ]
it was pretty exciting

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan, if this is what gives you that much of a hardon, then I think you might have a problem
Old 06-13-2005, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if your opponent generally has a worse ace, you want to check-call, as check-raise will be a losing play, only getting called by worse hands. Check-raising KJ gets called by worse hands, but makes better hands fold which makes it worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He checkraises with AK and AJ also. Which I assume is for the same reasons he checkraises with KJ.

Krishan
Old 06-13-2005, 09:18 AM

wow. I can't say I've ever had a concept hit me quite so hard, except when I first learned what raising for value was.

[ QUOTE ]
but I think I'm losing a bet versus an Ace that checks through more often than I'm going to gain a bet by checking here.

[/ QUOTE ]

in response, I wanted to type "but if ace high can't be counted on to bet then how can you expect to checkraise here" but then I realized that he really doesn't need to bet that often and fold to it that often to make that play +EV since it steals you the pot. less +EV with AK and AJ (you're only earning half the pot when he lays down A high) but still he doesn't have to bet nearly CLOSE to everytime to make that play worth it. word.

with AQ, he DOES have to bet almost every time because you are sure to collect one bet by betting, where as he will only bet sometimes and not call your c/r often.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:50 AM

Awesome thread! Thanks for posting this hand. Have to toggle to grasp everything more later...

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He checkraises with AK and AJ also. Which I assume is for the same reasons he checkraises with KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm. Maybe to push off pocket pairs too?
Old 06-13-2005, 06:26 PM

I kind of want results on this one. Did he fold?