Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Best and Worst Sports Broadcasters

[ QUOTE ]
sterling is awesome despite that, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]
I ran Yankees games from 1998-2001 and am convinced that Sterling is one of the worst. He is about an hour and a half behind the actual action on the field because he wants to get his voice inflections right. He is so far up the Yankees ass he makes Harry Carey look like a STL fan.

He is another one of those guys who just tries to get by by kissing ass. There was a great Sunday afternoon where ESPN Radio was stuck for a host and they brought in Sterling. He was horrible and he had to know it, because he starts just kissing ass to the ESPN execs right on the air. It was high comedy.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:04 PM

50 posts in this thread, and not one "Worst color commentator" vote for Billy Packer? Seriously?

By the way, McCarver was TERRIBLE last night. That bit about the Dye "HBP" (if the ball hits the bat it goes straight down, but if it hits the arm it deflects parallel to the ground) ... how the hell can he say that like it's absolute fact? And this gem: "The home plate umpire must have been going by sound rather than sight." Apparently not, dumbass.

Sorry, venting. Nothing like reading a bunch of "The umpires are deciding the Series" crap to get me riled up.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst Studio Analyst: Lou Holtz....poor guy can barely get a sentence out longer that 5 words

[/ QUOTE ]

did you see Desmond Howard next to him over the weekend? awful.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for play by play Bill Raftery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raftery's a color guy, not play by play. I like him (his is one of the few announcer schticks I'll put up with) but I suspect most don't.

Brad Nessler is an excellent play by play man, in my opinion. I don't think anyone touches Michaels, but Nessler at least deserves a mention.

-McGee
Old 10-24-2005, 03:06 PM

Favorites: Jon Miller, Al Michaels, TNT NBA crew (EJ+CB+Kenny), Harold Reynolds, Kenny Mayne

Suck: Joe Theisman, pretty much all current SportsCenter anchors, Bill Walton, Tim McCarver

What is the general consensus on Harold Reynolds? I love the guy.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i [censored] hate larry merchant

my girlfriend randomly busted out a hilarious impression of him the other day while driving. she hates him too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The..........right hand......of Tyson.........just........annihilated opponents back in the mid eighties................................... nobody..... seemed to know ..... how to.... stop the...... juggernaut that was.... Mike Tyson.

I agree.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general consensus on Harold Reynolds? I love the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like HR because he does a good job of explaining things in a manner that appeals to experienced viewers AND younger viewers. Plus, he knows what he's talking about.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
50 posts in this thread, and not one "Worst color commentator" vote for Billy Packer? Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]
Billy Packer to Duke = Phil Simms to Patriots
Old 10-25-2005, 11:02 PM

Some I haven't seen mentioned:

Best studio guy by a landslide is Don Cherry. If you haven't seen him, do whatever it takes to watch an NHL game on CBC. He knows the game, very opinionated and very funny. Add in the old-man randomness of a Harray Carray, and attire that make Digger Phelps look conservative. You'll wish the Coaches Corner was an hour long instead of a few minutes during intermissions.

Best Play by Play:Jim Lampley-boxing, Wayne Larrivee-Basketball/Football

Worst Color-Bob Davie

Worst Studio-Digger Phelps, Barry Melrose (the only benefit of no more NHL on ESPN)
Old 10-26-2005, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best PBP: Gary Thorne. No matter the sport, he is very professional and always adds something to the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

My head just exploded.

Gary Thorne is the WORST hockey pbp guy in existance. He misidentifies EVERYTHING. Wrong action, wrong penalties, and worst of all he calls the wrong PLAYER at least 25% of the time. Listening to him on espn was TORTURE.

For a real hockey pbp guy, try Bob Miller of the Kings. Consistantly outstanding.