Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: What should happen to the New Orleans looters?

"When the Levee Breaks" seems to keep playing in my head. Kinda macabe, I guess...
Old 08-31-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you post your entire list of crimes for which you support the death penalty?

[/ QUOTE ]

One function of the police is to protect property, another is to stop violators. This is an emergency situation. The police requested that the town be evacuated -- people who evacuated left their property entrusted to the officials who remained. Since there are no facilities to detain violators they are left with a choice of protecting the property or ignoring the violators -- I would choose to protect the property.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They should be shot in the penis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is far different from your average looting scenario. These people literally have nothing to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have their life to lose.

I wonder if the people who believe that the looting should be ignored or tolerated are the same people who complain about the trend to build gated communities in our cities.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the scary part are the reports of people looting firearms from Walmart. Gun control anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a lot of gun controls. What are you proposing?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:00 PM

Here are a couple thoughts.

White policeman sees white man taking stuff from store and thinks he's saving his stuff. He sees black man getting stuff from store and shoots him. Riots. I guess that's not very likely in New Orleans or maybe it's an emergency so this kind of thing is just a necessary part of dealing with it.

Policeman is given orders to shoot someone on site if they see them walking out of a store holding stuff. Bad day for that policeman I guess. Oh well, I guess that's just part of the job.

Buh, I'm not even sure you are serious.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:03 PM

Put the black ones on TV, and make sure everyone understands that "they're" taking sneakers and microwaves. Then cue the GOP racists and propagandists to start howling in outrage and agitating for "street justice". Meanwhile, have George W. Bush hold a guitar and pretend to sing country-western songs. Take PR photos.

q/q
Old 08-31-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
White policeman sees white man taking stuff from store and thinks he's saving his stuff. He sees black man getting stuff from store and shoots him. Riots. I guess that's not very likely in New Orleans ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why make it racial? How about a corrupt policeman shoots an innocent victim ... is that what you're getting at? I think it happens. If orders were to shoot on sight, you'd be a fool to be there.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since there are no facilities to detain violators they are left with a choice of protecting the property or ignoring the violators -- I would choose to protect the property.

[/ QUOTE ]
You never answered my post. How is this shoot-on-sight policy not a gross violation of the 8th amendment? You are advocating the death penatly for theft! Is a human life worth less than a tv set?

Besides, I think the choice the police have right now is whether to deal with looters or help those in danger from the flood waters. You are advocating that the police stop helping rescue people and start murdering people for stealing some food and stereos.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why make it racial? How about a corrupt policeman shoots an innocent victim ... is that what you're getting at? I think it happens. If orders were to shoot on sight, you'd be a fool to be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the police shot into a crowd of black people it would become racial and they don't have to be corrupt or members of the KKK to be vastly more likely to shoot at black people in that situation than white people.

That's just one point. Even if it were morally ok to shoot guilty looters it would be bad policy to give that power to the police and as a matter of public policy it would be very likely to create huge problems.

I just thought from some of your other posts that you might not support giving that kind of power to the government, but I could be wrong, I've only read a few of your posts.

I think it would be absolutely, absolutely horrific for police or the military to shoot looters because of the lack of due process, but also because looters don't deserve death.

I'm still not sure you are serious. People often represent that point of view when they are not really being serious.