Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Negreanu Challenges Sklansky

[ QUOTE ]
if all of those theories are true and he is the master of those theories, wouldn't he have the advantage in most (all?) limit structured games??

[/ QUOTE ]

An advantage over almost anyone? Yes. An advantage over absolutely everyone in every single structured game? No.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 05-05-2005, 11:16 PM

David doesn't come off here like he is willing to put his money where his ego is. Daniel offers him choice of game, and a nice 110 to 100 advantage on a $100,000 freezout. David lowers the stakes to $40,000, and wants a 5 to 4 advantage.

All this talk from David about how he has very little experience playing heads up, wants to play stud hi/lo with no qualifier etc., all boils down to him not wanting to play for that high a stake, IMO.

Frank
Old 05-05-2005, 11:54 PM

i like daniel and david. i'm a little bit put off by david's refrence to his own work as the greatest chapter ever. that already disqualifies him in my book. Laying claim to your own is much overshadowed by those who bestow humility on that which they have accomplished. imo, of course.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
David doesn't come off here like he is willing to put his money where his ego is.

[/ QUOTE ]
It isn't as if David said he's a better heads-up player but still insists on being laid odds. He conceded that Daniel would be a favourite at most forms of poker.

The offer David made was clearly a negotiating position. Considering that David now refuses to play at the Wynn, and Daniel is the Wynn's "ambassador", it seems unlikely that a heads-up challenge match will take place between them in the foreseeable future.

However, it would be pretty interesting to see David's reaction if Daniel makes this counteroffer:

Stud hi-lo, no qualifier, played in California, even money, $40,000 freezeout but the loser may demand a double-or-nothing rematch.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:59 AM

Just thought I'd throw this log on the fire, I'm surprised its not on here already:

[ QUOTE ]
Several MEN have stepped up and accepted the challenge. In fact Barry Greenstien agreed to play me in all the disciplines. Eli Elezra has said he'd play me in a mixed game format, and Johnny Chan has said he'd play me as well.

I also heard that both Ming Ly and Sammy Farha have shown interest. Not ONE of them had the gaul to make a counter offer. With no right of refusal, I'm letting my opponent not only pick the stakes, but the game too! How anyone could expect even more than that is a littley silly I think.

One guy wants to play me in Timbuktu, and another one wants me to lay him a price in a game of HIS choosing! My word.

It's a pretty simple challenge. Pick the price, pick the game, I'll say yes... then we gambool? Does that seem so difficult?

[/ QUOTE ]

DN seems to be making it personal by bolding the word "men" and farcically paraphrasing DSs terms. I'm surprised to see him sink to that level.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like daniel and david. i'm a little bit put off by david's refrence to his own work as the greatest chapter ever. that already disqualifies him in my book. Laying claim to your own is much overshadowed by those who bestow humility on that which they have accomplished. imo, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

poker players with egos? what is this world coming to?

Personally, i find this whole topic extremely entertaining. A little ego never hurt anyone.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:40 PM

The more I read what DN's written, hear about what he's written, and hear what he says, the more I come to the conclusion that DN views self esteem as a zero sum game: He can only improve his by tearing down someone else's.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:32 PM

Tell that to Custer.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:55 PM

Its quite probable that Daniel did not read the exact wording of my offer and would be less irritated if he had. In any case remember that Daniel singled me out to lay 11-10 to. So to counter offer that I would take 5-4 seems reasonable, especially since he had written that Phil Ivey is almost a 2-1 favorite over me.

The fact is that I am not comfortable playing for 100K or really even 50K. So I asked for 1.25. If he is willing to play for 20K I'll take 23,500 to 20,000 odds and agree not to quit if I win the first one. Game is 8/B stud. Stakes can be from 100-200 to 300-600. Ante 25, 40, or 75, as is customary. If I had to guess I would think that Daniel would win 48% of the matches. But I could be off by as much as 5% in either direction.

It is important to keep in mind two things about head up games:

1. They do little to prove who is the better player in ring games. Low pot odds and no "painted forehead problems" are part of the reason. I know rank suckers who play well head up.

2. They don't settle anything even as regards to head up skill. Some posters suggest that great players should play each other, even if the edge is tiny at best, just as a matter of pride. I don't disagree with the concept in general. I only disagree as it regards poker. If two milers of almost equal ability want to bet 100K on a race to settle who's best, great. The winner would be a big favorite in a rematch. But if A was considered 51% against B in a typical head up poker match, what price would he be in a second match if he won the first. Or lost it?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:59 PM

Default King Medicine Challenges ZeeGigaBot

I'm tired of ZeeGigaBot running his mouth off all the time.
Being so, i am "calling" him out.

Here are the terms:

Game:
5 card draw. 5s are wild. 5 draws. call your 5s.
first one to 5 points.

Stakes:
55$

Stipulation:
No Give Backs.

The guantlet has been thrown.

That should shut him up.