Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop

I've got no realistic range for the BB. In his shoes, I'd consider calling with 69s. This is a real Blah flop. I've got way too much of it, but he could easily have a 4 out draw. If he has QT, well, I don't have enough chips to get away from any amount of betting. I'm tossing a 2/3 pot bet out there - 400 chips. If he calls, great, if he folds, no worries. Q or T turn, I'm gonna check behind and call any river bet (and bet if checked to on the river). If he bets into me on a non-Q or T turn, I'm pushing. If he bets into me on a Q or T turn... hell I'm probably doing the same. The bluff possibility combined with my short stack combined with the possibility that he is protecting a weaker ace makes it a call.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:33 PM

Funny I basiclaly had this exact hand/flop yesterday. My opponent had QT, so I'd check hoping to fill up and fold to any large bet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In reality I'd bet about 400. I'd bet whatever amount that I felt there was some chance they might try to take the pot away from me. Also I want to make sure that my bet size doesn't scare them off a hand like AT or Ax/KQ. I think 400 could accomplish the above against many online opponents.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:36 PM

I'm ahead of pretty much everything Bar a pocket pair of Aces/Kings or Jacks.

I min-bet 200, small continuation shows weakness, it will give them hope, if he comes over the top I'm all in.

If he calls and a rag turns and checks to me on the turn, ill take the free-card, i think hes upto something, so ill see if he has any strength on the final bet.

If he bets on turn, I am worried but i still call.
If he then raises me all-in, I'll think about it based on the size of his bet on turn, and what has hit the table.

I put the villian on Axs KQ-K9o, QJ/JT/T9.

If he has QT, hes going to let us do the bidding seemingly, same with JJ.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What do you do if he raises you? Based on whether you check or bet (and presuming if you bet he calls), what's your plan for the rest of the hand and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he raises my bet, I have to figure he flopped a set or a straight and as much as it hurts, I've got to lay down. Check raising an UTG raiser shows balls or a strong hand. If he calls, I'm also going to worry he has a set or a straight and check it down from there unless I hit a full house on 4th street or the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA I was liking your post until this little gem... He has called your bet preflop and check-raises an AKJ flop so you lay down your AK? WHA? He has shown absolutely 0 indication that he can actually beat your hand. You beat KJ, AJ, every ace, KT, KQ, QJ, JT, TT, etc. all of which might think they have the best hand and best draw. There is just about no chance in hell that I'm folding this on the flop. If he beats me, he beats me, but this sort of thinking needs to come out of your head. One raise does not make the BB's hand a monster.

FWIW, I bet 450 and push over a check-raise. I've already given a good chunk of his hand range.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:49 PM

2005, don't worry, no one in online poker history has actually folded AK here, it's just fun to pretend you would while posting on 2+2.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:57 PM

Didn't read the replies yet.

I bet 250.

My thought is that if villain is going to play, I expect him to check-raise me, so lets keep the bet small. I am actually concerned about this flop because a very large percentage of the hands that would call my raise have a queen in them. Therefore I need to price out the probable gutshot, hopefully looking weak enough that he will check-raise me. I will then push as I consider a set or QT unlikey at this point and he would make a mistake by calling.

-Mike
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 PM

)pre reading responses)

I think it's a bit early to be putting him on a range... he could have a ton of hands, we'll be able to put him on a smaller more realistic range after his action here.

I think i bet out like 300-350 here, a bit on the samll side but i'd like to get him to come over the top. If he does and it's enough to put me all in, obviously call... if it's not quite enough, he'll be commited to the rest of my stack probably so i'd push.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2005, don't worry, no one in online poker history has actually folded AK here, it's just fun to pretend you would while posting on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to all those who are pointing out (and explaining why) that it may be weak/tight. It really is giving me a lot more to think about in how I respond to such a situation. I did lay down AKo with AKT of spades on the flop with a 4th spade on 4th street, but that is the only time I can remember I was faced with a similar situation in actual play. My opponent pushed and I didn't have a spade and thought my 2 pair was second best.

My work performace is going to suffer now that I'm actively posting on these boards. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 04:18 PM

having 4 spades on the board is different than a rainbow flop, by a longshot.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:26 PM

Have not read any replies.

I'm firing a continuation bet of about 325 here. Same bet I would make with nothing. At this point I would have a pretty large range for Villain 22-JJ, 67s, 78s, 89s, 910s, J10s, Q10, K10, KJ, KQ, AK-9.

If he calls it narrows to Q10, J10, 1010, JJ, AQ, AK, AJ, KJ, KQ. A re-raise would narrow it to more drawish type hands: AQ, KQ, J10 also a trappy KJ, AJ, AK. I don't think we get CR here with a hand that has us killed (Q10, AA, KK, JJ)

If I'm beat here I am probably going broke. I'm pushing over a re-raise. If villain calls and leads out for 500 or less I might just call the turn and try to get this to showdown. The money is probably going in here if villain is willing.