Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Is A-Rod \"Becomming\" a Yankee?????

[ QUOTE ]
that being said, it'll take a lot of 3HR, 10RBI games in April, May, and June to make me forget him going 0-4 w/o hitting the ball out of the infield in a game 7. you're getting paid $25M and the best you can do in the biggest game of your life is 4 ground balls? that's the ultimate pressure situation, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-27-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is it pointless?

[/ QUOTE ]

When a 3 homer, 9 RBI game for a player is deemed "pointless", I have no choice but to laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hardly "pointless", but those 10 RBI's last night would have served the Yankees better had they been spread out over 3 or 4 games. Runs have diminishing value - the first run is very important, the next run a little less so but still very important, and so on... the 9th and 10th runs typically improve your winning percentage very slightly as opposed to the 4th and 5th runs.

Not a knock on A-Rod. I actually like him, compared to other Yankees, and last night's performance was amazing.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:35 PM

The thing is, and here's the monumental error with your analysis, the only frame of reference you're giving is to Albert Pujols and Bernie Williams. Maybe you should give the average BA/OBP/SLG for close and late. Maybe you should give A-Rod's rank for each category.

It would seem to me that hitting "close and late" would be inherently harder as late in close games you're probably going against a dominant starter or reliever.

But to say A-Rod hits .241 close and late relaly has no meaning since we haven't established any context - stats are relative to other players in the league. Without that piece of information we don't know how to evaluate the meaning of a statistic.

Anyway, go to espn's sortable stats and you can find, in any given year, good hitters hitting below .200 or with a sub-.700 OPS in over 100 PA. Does that mean they're chokers?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:42 PM

Chip Caray: You know, some people are saying that with last night's game, A-Rod has finally become a True Yankee. I'm wondering... what the heck does that mean?
Don Sutton: It means too many people are reading the back pages.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poor choice of words. Meaningless should have been used for clarity.

You know it is sad/funny when Yankee fans are getting excited over games being played in April.

On the first day of the season was Mark saying "OMG!!! Dmitri Young hit 3 homers. He is finally becoming a true Tiger!!!"

grasping. at. straws.

[/ QUOTE ]

gotta love yankee haters [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

you bitch because yankee fans are happy they are having a good game for a change but yet this board is FULL of people saying how bad the yankees suck because they are off to a slow start.

Seems like you need to find a way to bitch about the yanks one way or another. It's ok I understand I'd hate the yankees too if I wasn't raised 1/2 an hour from yankee stadium but at least try to be fair about it... if you are gonna say they suck because they are having a bad start after les than a month of play, you can't very well bitch about yankee fans happy A-rod had one good game
Old 04-27-2005, 02:54 PM

Does this mean we'll have a whole thread about whether or not he's "clutch" in the near future?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean we'll have a whole thread about whether or not he's "clutch" in the near future?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, only true Yankees are worthy that type of discussion.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:57 PM

There are a lot of people who think Arod is a choker and always screws up when the game is on the line but also deny Jeter is clutch, saying that doesn't exist. Go figure.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, and here's the monumental error with your analysis, the only frame of reference you're giving is to Albert Pujols and Bernie Williams. Maybe you should give the average BA/OBP/SLG for close and late. Maybe you should give A-Rod's rank for each category.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right, i was just thinking of a quick frame of reference since it was late and all...i was unable to find league averages, but found league averages for close and late and total stats for 2000-2004...(min 25 PA for close, min 300 PA overall, American League)

overall--close and late
15th BA--158th BA
6th OPS--54th OPS
6th Rc/g--61st Rc/g

7th BA--55th BA
3rd OPS--42nd OPS
4th Rc/g--37th Rc/g

19th BA--94th BA
4th OPS--28th OPS
5th Rc/g--37th Rc/g

20th BA--86th BA
3rd OPS--3rd OPS
4th Rc/g--9th Rc/g

32nd BA--66th BA
18th OPS--64th OPS
16th Rc/g--68th Rc/g

in looking through the close and late situations, the thing that stood out was that i kept seeing the same names above a-rod--edgar martinez, ichiro, nomar, damon, jeter--basically the people you'd suspect to be clutch hitters...but other than 2003 there's a significant drop across the board there in those numbers
Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 PM

Why would you expect Ichiro!, Nomar, etc to be "clutch"? And are you talking about them being better in every category across the board, or just BA?

Perhaps they're better equipped to face closers et al because of their high-contact, low-walk style?