Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Black v. Matusow Hand ... Good laydown??

I don't think I've been questioning the fold, although sometimes in the wacky world of 2+2, I lose track of my own arguments. I think what I've been questioning is the idea that Matusow is only going to bet the flop with a monster.

If people think Black is supposed to give it up on the flop, I don't necessarily disagree, but my point is that's all the more reason Matusow should be betting the flop with any holding that's in good shape against the all-in, and all the more reason Matusow should be calling preflop with a wider range of hands, too.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Date / Time: 2005-07-13 21:40:00
Title: Gregory Rice Eliminated in 28th Place ($274,090)

Gregory Rice goes all in under the gun, preflop for his last $200,000. Andrew Black reraises to $350,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can Black reraise to only $350k? That's not double the previous bet. If he actually reraised to $550k, then doesn't it make Mike's flat call even more ominous?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:38 PM

I would definitely go in the tank on this one but I am not so sure I could get away from this - although if you can put the flat call by Matusow as being AA-KK, JJ, AK then its a good laydown. But also if we look at the % of chips that Matusow has to contribute which is less than 10% at a chance to knock out a desperate player AND outplay someone after the flop (which is what he's good at) then he could call with a much wider range???

It reminds me of Matusow at the final table of the UB aruba tournament where he flat-called a 3x bb raise with KQo (his amatuer oponent had AK) when the amatuer whiffed and checked the flop mike moved all in.

In the end, from the results it was a great laydown, I am just not sure if it was a scared move or not. And I don't know what I'd do - it just looks like a really interesting hand and I hope it is on TV.

And to the poster who said tough laydowns is what gets you to the final table I disagree. Smart play, combined with a little luck, is what gets you there - just making big laydowns is not the key - with tricky, aggressive players having a philosophy that "making big laydowns gets you to the top" is a philosophy that is going to leave you short stacked and not taking advantage of when you have the best of it. (a general point - not talking about this incident specifically)
Old 07-14-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can Black reraise to only $350k? That's not double the previous bet. If he actually reraised to $550k, then doesn't it make Mike's flat call even more ominous?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising to $350k is OK in America, isn't it?