Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Irony

Hillary Clinton being a case in point: didn't she say "We must stop being concerned about the individual and start thinking about what's good for society."

I believe this sums up the basic political philosophy coming from both sides of the aisle. They just differ on what's good for "society."
Old 12-22-2003, 02:48 PM

Probably so, but it is especially ironic coming out of the mouths of supposed "liberals."
Old 12-22-2003, 03:13 PM

Conservatives typically bemoan the fact that liberalism has changed, that it has moved from the foreign policy consensus of the Cold War years, when liberals could be liberal on domestic issues and yet wanted a "strong" foreign policy. Senator Henry (Scoop) Jackson is invariably held up as a prime example of this "good" kind of liberal.

Conservatives like 1960s liberals. They don't understand that the world has changed since that time.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Totally out to lunch

"Forgive me but I cannot find in your response that which addresses what I was wondering about."

Don't you mean, "Forgive me but I cannot find in your response that which addresses that about which I was wondering"?

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2003, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Bozo-ib-Chief?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought your comment about our Bozo-in-Chief was a brilliant attempt at open public discourse. If I was a supporter of Bush I am positive that comment would make me think, "Well, there is an obviously intelligent, agile, and mature fella who disagrees with me. Lets start an open dialogue." Job well done.

btw - the biggest mistake that the left can make is to under estimate the intelligence of GW. He might be a liar and he might be uneducated, but he is not stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, attacking people's loyalty to country and insulting the president is NOT the same thing. People hated Clinton and called him a "scumbag". This never stopped people from debating Clinton's policies or stands on certain issues (or lack thereof), and I certainly don't recall anyone being called "un-American" for not supporting Bubba.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:30 PM

The response was in the title.

As in, "I am..."
Old 12-22-2003, 03:30 PM

Couldn't agree more. Both sides want smaller government; both sides want bigger government.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:33 PM

Obviously the world has changed since that time, but most of Liberal positions of today are, IMO, anything but liberal.

The Liberals appear to be fast donning the mantle of the New Fascists for the supposed Greater Good of Society. There is nothing in human history that has wrought more evil than the pernicious idea that individual rights must be suppressed in cause of the "greater good." That is the core essence of all fascism and communistic totalitarianism in the history of theworld. No idea is more subtly and horribly flawed; no idea is capable of causing more or greater misery, in it's insidiousness. Society must exist to support the ideal of individual rights; not the other way around. If individual rights are held to exist in order to support society, the human race has no future other than drear suffering, overpopulation, and misery, compounded by ill-fated state attempts to bring about a cosmic-type of equality to the human condition when no such equalities exist in nature or in the world. Well-meaning yet foolish idealists are the biggest purchasers of such bankrupt philosophies, and today the Liberals seem to be ever sliding further towards un-reality (just listen to some of Dean's more recent remarks as an example).

The world has changed, it is true, but some things never change. Failure to understand this has led to some of the greatest personal human tragedies, as well as some of the most tragic human miseries, and lack of all rights, on massive scale.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Bozo-ib-Chief?

But that was different...he was a democrat.

It was okay to say Clinton was "wagging the dog" when our troups engaged in military action because Clinton was a democrat (it's okay to attack his motives as being all for Politics)

It was okay to block his judicial nominations (as long as filibusters weren't used).

It makes sense to say that the good economy of the Clinton era was all due to Reagan and Bush I, but the economy improving now is all due to Bush II...why? Clinton is a democrat.

Old 12-22-2003, 03:39 PM

Yes...is one not correct?