Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Knicks get Eddy Curry

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't understand, unless you only added 1m a year players, as long as Houston was on the team, we would be over the cap until he retires. Whether it be 3-5m over, or 25m over, I don't care it's Dolans money.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Hoops Hype, the Knicks will have a salary of 49 million at the end of the 2006/07 season, the year Lebron becomes a FA. The salary cap for last year according to Inside Hoops was 49.5 million.

Does the addition of Curry (which will vault the Knicks over the probable salary cap in 2007/08) preclude them from signing Lebron as a FA? It's probably just wishful thinking on my part because Isiah will probably trade Penny this year and Houston, Mo Taylor, and Shandon Anderson next year to dig us deeper in this hole.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:16 PM

This isn't the Yankees, the well is not bottomless. Giving out and taking on huge contracts for people who don't deserve them severly handicaps our ability to sign players in future free agent pools, and locks up our ability to make any kinds of trades in our favor. We're taking on all of the bloated contracts that smart GMs are trying to get away from.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the nba cap, what u need to know is that if you are over the cap u can only sign free agents from your own team, or use the mid-level exemption which is an amount of money determined by the average salary of the league. You can also do a sign and trade, but the knicks have no where near enough to trade for Lebron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible to just sign him as a FA (and not trade for him)? I just think it would make sense for the Knicks to ensure they are under the cap the year he becomes a FA so we can at least have a shot at signing him.

Obviously if we have to trade for him we have no chance.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't the Yankees, the well is not bottomless. Giving out and taking on huge contracts for people who don't deserve them severly handicaps our ability to sign players in future free agent pools, and locks up our ability to make any kinds of trades in our favor. We're taking on all of the bloated contracts that smart GMs are trying to get away from.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only contract that runs beyond Houstons is Marbury's correct? Give me all the bloated contracts you want as long as they end in 07.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the nba cap, what u need to know is that if you are over the cap u can only sign free agents from your own team, or use the mid-level exemption which is an amount of money determined by the average salary of the league. You can also do a sign and trade, but the knicks have no where near enough to trade for Lebron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible to just sign him as a FA (and not trade for him)? I just think it would make sense for the Knicks to ensure they are under the cap the year he becomes a FA so we can at least have a shot at signing him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. The Heat traded for Shaq. Sign and trades happen.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only contract that runs beyond Houstons is Marbury's correct? Give me all the bloated contracts you want as long as they end in 07.

[/ QUOTE ]
Crawford, Q, Malik Rose, Jerome James, and Eddy Curry (?) will all make 6-8 million in 2007/08.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Right but the Knicks don't have any talent to do a sign and trade for a player like Lebron, so our only chance is FA signing, no?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't understand, unless you only added 1m a year players, as long as Houston was on the team, we would be over the cap until he retires. Whether it be 3-5m over, or 25m over, I don't care it's Dolans money.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Hoops Hype, the Knicks will have a salary of 49 million at the end of the 2006/07 season, the year Lebron becomes a FA. The salary cap for last year according to Inside Hoops was 49.5 million.

Does the addition of Curry (which will vault the Knicks over the probable salary cap in 2007/08) preclude them from signing Lebron as a FA? It's probably just wishful thinking on my part because Isiah will probably trade Penny this year and Houston, Mo Taylor, and Shandon Anderson next year to dig us deeper in this hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Knicks would have to do something to get under the cap by 07, correct. This is par for the NBA though.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Crawford, Q, Malik Rose, Jerome James, and Eddy Curry (?) will all make 6-8 million in 2007/08.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], I'm so used to saying this that I forgot about the new players in the last year. Please forgive me, I suck.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Right but the Knicks don't have any talent to do a sign and trade for a player like Lebron, so our only chance is FA signing, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Often an expiring contract + draft picks is enough, look at what the Lakers got for Shaq (Butler/Odom and Grant); or what Denver gave up for New Jersey (3 picks). It's not that unreasonable to believe, that Mo Taylor(for the $$ expiring contract), Trevor Ariza/Robinson/Lee/Frye (whichever young kid(s) ends up being good) and a few #1s would be more then enough. Knicks take Lebron and whatever garbage cleveland makes us take (I bet Ilgouskas will be almost crippled by 2007)