Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Using ALL CAPS doesn\'t strengthen your position

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Please post a link for the politics forum that is overflowing with manners and civility. I have yet to find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my point. 2+2 can be better than that. Civility really isn't that difficult, all it requires is not calling posters you disagree with names like a 3rd-grader, but trying to have decent discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

And my point is that you cannot have a forum that discusses politics without having people, at times, getting a bit heated and insulting each other. This forum is no different from any other. I guess we will disagree on this. Jerk.

<font color="white"> (Kidding, kidding.) </font>
Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While I try to be lenient and to exercise my best judgment, posters can be banned at the moderator's discretion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, this is at the heart of it. You abused your discretion. And if you can't see why you should consult with others -- if not recuse yourself entirely -- when you are considering banning a poster by whom you feel attacked, then 2+2 indeed erred in giving you moderator status, regardless of your political ideology.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Lou, I did not abuse my discretion. In fact I exercised my discretion very well: I banned jokerswild for disregarding a warning, and for making deliberate malicious false assertions about another poster, and for egregious name-calling. That's three offenses all rolled into one.

You will notice I did not ban YOU however, or even give you a warning; because although you made what was on the face a similar-sounding claim to that of jokerswild, you did it not out of maliciousness but rather out of misunderstanding (in my opinion). Nor did you compound the post with horrendous name-calling. Neither were you violating a warning recently given.

So it seems I have exercised my discretion as a moderator quite well actually (even if I do say so myself;-)). You and I have discussed things calmly and objectively as it appeared you had a genuine concern and were not merely trying to sling nasty mud (as contrasted with jokerswild, who has definitely slung very nasty mud at numerous posters on many, many occasions in the past).
Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And my point is that you cannot have a forum that discusses politics without having people, at times, getting a bit heated and insulting each other. This forum is no different from any other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes, Niss.

My goal is to help improve the forum, not Fascistize it;-)

I only intend to ban in the worst cases and for the worst offenses. Everyone and everything else gets a pass or a warning or something like that (if I even catch it).

Jokerswild really went over the deep end on this one though. He's done it before (and I believe been banned on other usernames here before), but not on my watch though.

We won't ever have anything near a perfect forum. But I don't see a problem with getting rid of the very worst offenses or the worst offenders, do you?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: MMMMMM Advocates Violence Against Americans

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Deportation is a forced relocation. The FORCE part of that is what makes it a violent act.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same could be said for any law enforcement activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, basically. I don't really have an opinion about your idea of deportation, I haven't really even read it. I was just pointing out to jaxmike that deportation is violent, regardless of anyone's citizenship status.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And my point is that you cannot have a forum that discusses politics without having people, at times, getting a bit heated and insulting each other. This forum is no different from any other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes, Niss.

My goal is to help improve the forum, not Fascistize it;-)

I only intend to ban in the worst cases and for the worst offenses. Everyone and everything else gets a pass or a warning or something like that (if I even catch it).

Jokerswild really went over the deep end on this one though. He's done it before (and I believe been banned on other usernames here before), but not on my watch though.

We won't ever have anything near a perfect forum. But I don't see a problem with getting rid of the very worst offenses or the worst offenders, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

We differ on what are the "worst offenses" and the "worst offenders". We supposedly are big boys and girls. So we should be able to handle name-calling and "grossly misrepresenting" one's position. In fact, it sometimes makes for lively reading. I'm sure there is a line crossed at some point, but your line (or, perhaps more appropriately, 2+2's line) is far from mine. But as I said before, it's their forum and we operate under whatever rules they put out there. I don't really have a feel as to whether your actions relative to jokerswild are or are not in line with the way 2+2 wants this forum run, and I'm not accusing you of anything or criticizing you in this particular instance. My comments are meant to be taken generally.

Cheers.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: This discussion is a waste of time

Well done, 103 words just to say 'they don't agree with me, they must be wrong'. Maybe one day your son will be brought home in a box, then you will be in a position to comment on Cindy Sheehans actions, I hope not though. There is nothing kooky about an anti-war position, mindlessly supporting a war is more irrational.

You suck BGC [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Mack
Old 08-18-2005, 05:30 PM

Default LaggyLou...........Advocates Violence Against Americans!!!!

1. Posting on the 2+2 political forum is a violent act.
2. LaggyLou made a post on the 2+2 forum.

That is all.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, this shoots down your theory, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better be talkin' jism, mister, otherwise youra gonna be banned mighty quick.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: MMMMMM Advocates Violence Against Americans

You or Mat has made this mess MMMMMM even if your actions were right. It does not funtion well that you state politial opinions and operates as the mod in the same thread. You should discuss with Mat that he or someone else mods the threads in which you participate.

Your defence of Adios in the other thread was very unsuitable action with the mod hat on, in my opinion. He had a hidden message against many posters that was just as dirty as Jokerwild's post. With your politics hat on it would be ok.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:24 PM

6M - I don't really care who you ban (other than me I suppose, but even then...). But in the interest of fairness (which I do care about), didn't you promise several times to post a sticky with the exact rules? And didn't you say that the slate would be wiped clean at that moment, and that punishments would commence at that moment?

I know you gave that guy warnings, and it seems like he either misrepresented you or offended you in some way, or both. But many people here have been misrepresented. Hell, half the time BGC types out a sentence he's misrepresenting or maligning all the liberals on this forum!

My point is I think you should post the sticky with well-defined rules, clear the slate INCLUDING reinstating this joker guy, and then let the banning begin (when truly necessary).

-ptmusic