Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship (NHPC) - Questions For Pr

Freekobe,

Don't get him started!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think NBC would probably love to have the final table be:

Wager vs. Moneymaker!! what ratings!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Bodog.com posts lines....

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting odds. Of course, any of the 64 can easily win this, aside from a few dead money players, but to me there's one player who is far and away the best play given these odds. Anyone want to give their opinion before I reveal?

[/ QUOTE ]

No bet has a chance of being "far and away the best play" without being at or near the longest odds offered. Looking at the players who are 55-1 or worse, the following players (at least) don't belong in the bottom quintile: Hennigan, M. Tran, T. Brunson, Bibb.

If you're thinking of someone who is listed better than 55-1 then you're wrong, unless this is a trick question. There's no way anyone offers as much overlay (or more likely, as little underlay) at 45-1 or worse as Bibb or Elezra at 75-1.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, poker is skill and luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you said earlier that I contested is that my question "who would win every match if it weren't for luck" is the same as "who is the most skilled player." These are not the same question. My point in unasking this question is: the skill in poker is in trying to manipulate the odds in your favor -- the "luck", if you like. If there is no luck then there is no skill to apply. There is, in fact, no game.

My specific expression of it was (as you inferred) intended to make fun of hellmuth, and it loses that quality if you translate it to another form. "Who is the most skilled player" is a fine and sensible question so I'm pretty sure it's not equivalent to the nonsensical "who would win every time if there were no luck involved."
Old 03-02-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To me, poker is skill and luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point in unasking this question is: the skill in poker is in trying to manipulate the odds in your favor -- the "luck", if you like. If there is no luck then there is no skill to apply. There is, in fact, no game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No sarcasm here - this makes perfect sense. I guess I just got lost in your logic in a previous post. The manipulation of luck as the skill in poker is extremely well-said.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:39 PM

Impressive young Jedi. But seriously, that is very impressive.
Maybe in the future after seeding and such they can have an Amateur/lesser known pro qualify through a win and get in sub tourney.

Joe
Old 03-02-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Bodog.com posts lines....

[ QUOTE ]

No bet has a chance of being "far and away the best play" without being at or near the longest odds offered. Looking at the players who are 55-1 or worse, the following players (at least) don't belong in the bottom quintile: Hennigan, M. Tran, T. Brunson, Bibb.

If you're thinking of someone who is listed better than 55-1 then you're wrong, unless this is a trick question. There's no way anyone offers as much overlay (or more likely, as little underlay) at 45-1 or worse as Bibb or Elezra at 75-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

No far picking so many. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Todd Brunson is who I had in mind. Thought maybe 'far and away' was a bit strong as, like you note, there are other world-class players like Hennigan and Elezra lurking down there.

I love Todd at 55-1 though. One of the world's best players and a murderer in heads-up play. (from my admittedly very second and third-hand knowledge)
Old 03-02-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship (NHPC) - Questions For Pros

Please try to convince your bosses to give this something like Wimbledon-type coverage. Would a petition help?

As far as questions go:

"What do you think of your bracket? Do you think we should use a seeding system the next time we hold this tournament?"

Ask the winner of each match which of his/her 2 likely next opponents he/she would rather face, and why.

"How much of your play against [so-and-so] will be dictated by your feel of how he/she is playing today, and how much will be dictated by what you already know about him/her? Without giving away trade secrets, how do you beat [so-and-so]?"

"What's your beef with Phil Hellmuth?"
Old 03-02-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship (NHPC) - Questions For Pros

You could tell them their odds from bodog.com and ask what they think about that.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please try to convince your bosses to give this something like Wimbledon-type coverage. Would a petition help?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the event gets good ratings and the players enjoy the format, you can expect coverage to increase in future years. Remember, poker wasn't on a non-cable television station until recently. These things take time, but if the interest is there and the players like the format/exposure, I suspect this will become a major event. I certainly hope that happens.

Appreciate your questions - they're all good, though I'll probably hold off on the "Phil" question
Old 03-02-2005, 07:54 PM

Whoa Nellie! Sorry to beat a dead horse, but John Hennigan 55/1, Jerry Buss 55/1 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

This is a HU championship right? Am I the only one who saw Lane Flack just run all over Buss's carcass HU on WPT?