Default Re: I want to get a cat

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, happy birthday, Jake!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, man. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="white">Again. </font>
Old 09-22-2005, 02:35 PM

Change the box completely once a week; scoop out the solids daily.

As to the pot, move it to a higher place where she can't get to it. Try putting tape sticky-side up across the top of the pot.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:36 PM

Hey Jake:

Old 09-22-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try putting tape sticky-side up across the top of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This works. This is how I trained the wife's cat to stay off the kitchen counters and furniture.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:05 PM

Get a Maine Coon, or at least a cat with some Maine Coon blood. They are big cats with great personalities. Mine even plays fetch with me- I can throw a bottle cap (or his mouse) and he brings it right back and drops it in my lap [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] His eyes light up whenever I open a bottled drink now.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a Maine Coon, or at least a cat with some Maine Coon blood. They are big cats with great personalities. Mine even plays fetch with me- I can throw a bottle cap (or his mouse) and he brings it right back and drops it in my lap [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] His eyes light up whenever I open a bottled drink now.

[/ QUOTE ]

How useful. My dog fetches the newspaper and ducks and geese. I'm sure the day will come when I need a bottle cap fetched though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking of buying a cat and this thread has been very helpful.

But this picture got me to really laugh.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Declawing also is psychologically damaging to the cats because their instincts are so tied to their claws. Animals aren't very smart, so they rely on their instincts to make decisions. The declawing really screws them up- sometimes you can have a cute lovable cat and its personality will completely change after it gets declawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could definitely see it changing their personalities. Heck, even the trauma immediately after of being so terribly injured and having to walk around on feet with no toe unamputated must be extremely miserable and scary for them.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I have 5 cats. Two adult that she brought with her when she moved in with me, and we took in three strays (a mother and her two kittens) that we found in the bushes in front of our porch later on. We got all fixed and declawed. The mother stray was feral for at least a year, but is one of the most friendly cats I have ever seen now less than a year later, so I don't necessarily buy the "anti-declaw" sentiment expressed above.

I also bought a Have-A-Heart trap and have caught and personally paid for four other strays to get fixed (not declawed). I am the Bob Barker of my neighborhood.

I would definitely recommend going to an animal shelter...not only are you getting a pet, but you are saving a life. And while I wouldn't necessarily endorse getting 5 cats (it IS a bit of a handful at times...they eat a LOT of food), if you can manage, two is a good number, so they have someone else there to stimulate them while you are at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sentiment about declawing is a justification for what you already decided to do and did repeatedly, not something that developed from the results of it.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:06 PM

I have one more question.

I currently am in my last year of college and live in a house converted into apartments. Basically, I've lived here two years and never seen the owner, so owning a cat here is no big deal, some of the the other residents have shitty pets like ferrets. Anyways, next year whenever I go I will almost certaintly be living in an apartment in a big city. Is it going to be a big problem finding a place that allows cats? I obviously understand owning a cat is a longterm thing but if I'm going to be living out of apartments for the next few years I want to make sure it won't be a huge problem.