Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 07:03 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Getting desperate for help

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I think that the games have gotten a little tougher. I think that many players who have spent their time concentrating on multitabling rather than getting better at poker and moving up in stakes are going to have a hard time when the competition steps up a notch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple things. Comments on response, not necesarily regarding the OP.

Do you think poker has peaked? Or is it still becoming 'more' popular?

I also agree that many who are learning who jump into multitabling miss out on developing some finer points of the game. Not that they can't be developed at a later time, however, it may include moving down limits to do it. Which can be tough on one's ego. That is IF they realize and catch what the problem is in time before decimation of their roll sets in.

It's funny. Many of these 'tougher' games are much easier than the 'normal' games that were around 3-4 years ago.

b
Old 04-01-2005, 07:05 PM

Nice to have ya back.

I've missed the jester avatar.

b
Old 04-01-2005, 07:07 PM

This is a great place to look. Especially if he's switching from n/l to the limit grind. I've found a few holes that had developed when I was doing this.

b
Old 04-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Sure, I just think it's much more likely that he was tilting.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Having 3 months of breakeven poker should be a very rare occurance for solid players, but given a bad enough run of cards and some tilting, it's certainley possible. It does seem that these games have gotten tougher, but not to a degree where they aren't very profitable. David, i think if you can get a normal run of cards and focus on playing the best poker you are capable of playing, you will get back to winning. Hopefully the focus you are putting intol improving your game now will translate into a more consistency in the long term. Best of luck.

Gabe
Old 04-01-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: No Joke

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not down 800 BB's. I'm not down at all. I had a 600 BB downturn in one week. And I had a 200 BB down turn in the last 2 days. From Jan 21 to today I am almost exactly even, which included the 2 big downturns. Fortunately I'm up around 20K in tournaments

[/ QUOTE ]

Sighs relief...

I'm glad you are still in the fight. I have a profound respect for anyone that can keep fighting after such downturns.

I had understood that you were down 800 BBs this year...

So this was a kind of April's fools after all?.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:03 PM

It's not a joke still. I've gone from winning 1.92 BB's / 100 hands for 10 months to being almost dead even for 9 weeks (1 week of vacation in there) but its 75K hands so it's not insignificant. I've just spent some time comparing my PT stats and the first page is almost identical as far as VP$ and PFR, went to showdown and won $ at showdown. Where they are different is in my blind play. I'm playing my SB less, but folding to steals less (defending more) and stealing less. I'm in the process now of trying to compare hands to see if there are any clues there, but my big pair stats for example are pretty close to what they were before.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(gr8plyr82),

You have been awarded a bonus amount of 10.00 and the money has been added into your account. You are free to use this bonus amount to play at Empire Poker. However, if you wish to cashout the 10.00, you will need to play 300 raked hands before 11-APR-2005 EST.

If you could run that up for me, Choppy, I'd really appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd be honored...password? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 09:45 PM

David,

First off hang in there -- think how far you've come since the paradise 1/2 days. I had an awefull month in Feb where I pretty much broke even after running at 4 BB/100 for five months of casual play. It was one horrible beat after another and hands like AKs, AQ were losers -- not because of my play, but just horrible luck.

What I found was that the bad beats really, really affected my "grinding" hands, like QJs, KJs, AT, etc. I was really misplaying those hands -- pushing too hard when it was obvious I was beat and pulling back because I was to afraid of getting land mined at the river. I counted all the bets I missed and all the pots which I should have won, had I played them correctly. It was amazing -- I would have been running around 3BB/100 had I played my "normal" game.

My advice

1) look at how you're playing the marginal hands
2) realize everyone and their brother is able to get mountains of data on your play -- now, more than ever any smuch knows you're a 22/8/+2/10000 player and you're tendancies -- if you don't fix the leaks, there's someone that can exploit it
3) confidence

I'd be happy to hook up with you and bring my laptop, drink a few beers and go over your play. I may not be able to hook up until later in the month -- but I think it would be worthwhile.

Cheers
Magi
Old 04-01-2005, 09:55 PM

Default some advice

Here are some tips that have helped me win at a nice rate.

(1) Make sure you have very sizable stats on your opponenets.
(2) Be ready to leave a game at a moments notice if it turns bad. Playing against 9 other 18/9 players is just stupid yet you see it all the time.
(3) Play between 4pm EST and 12pm EST as this seems to have the highest proportion of fishy/bad players/good tables.

I only have about 1500 hands on you unless you use another username.
From this limited amount of stats I would give you some basic advice on your play.
Let me know how these numbers compare to your long term stats.

(1) I have you VPIP from the SB as 33.04%

This looks low unless the games are really really aggressive.
I think you should be in the 40+ range.

(2) Your AF is 1.19 which is too low.
(1.22,1.21,1.11)
Passive players get killed in the PP 15/30.
You are calling too much which suggests you don`t know where you are at in a lot of hands.
I am thinking the moment someone shows aggression you go into a shell with checking and calling.
That does not look like winning play unless you have awsome table selection and you are playing total idiots.

(3) You PF raise looks too low at 7.28% sompared to checking and calling of 17.2% combined.

It looks like you are cold calling a lot here when you should be thinking about either folding or 3 betting.
By cold calling, aggressive players will walk over you post flop.

Just my opinions. If you want to send me 20K +hands I could probably get a better idea and give you better advice.

D.