Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Pulp Fiction.

Alright, I'll watch a few of those(I've already seen The Godfather, but it was on cable, so a lot was edited out. I also caught about 30 minutes of Outlaw Josey Wales at a friends house, looked pretty good.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW - One's collection really doesn't have much to do with their taste in movies. I mean, I own XXX fer chrissakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I buy movies I like. If I don't like a movie, I won't buy it. If I own a movie, that means that I like it. So, it might not be true for you, but my movie collection reflects my taste in movies. Pretty dumb statement, by the way.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I said I was 16, not 6. I think I am mature enough to watch R rated movies, and smart enough to digest information that is in a lot of movies that have a "message"

[/ QUOTE ]

yet, apparently not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because I did not see past the violence and drug usage in this movie and find some deeper meaning that led me to worship god and read the bible weekly, that means I am too immature and dumb to watch these movies?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Because I did not see past the violence and drug usage in this movie and find some deeper meaning that led me to worship god and read the bible weekly, that means I am too immature and dumb to watch these movies?

[/ QUOTE ]

No but when you go on internet and make a post in a forum saying

[ QUOTE ]
I felt like there was no point to this movie, other than seeing people get their heads blown off and watching a big black
guy get anally raped.

[/ QUOTE ]

then probably you are not mature enough to get it.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I said I was 16, not 6. I think I am mature enough to watch R rated movies, and smart enough to digest information that is in a lot of movies that have a "message"

[/ QUOTE ]

yet, apparently not.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if there is a message there and you don't see it... then yes you are too immature and/or dumb to watch those movies.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:05 AM

Alright, I obviously don't understand this movie. I realize that change is a theme here(Butch going back in the pawn shop to help Marcellus, even though Marcellus is the most dangerous person to him at the time, and Jules going from being a hitman to following Jesus and being a good bible toting Christian)

Is there some deeper meaning? Please, somebody explain it to me.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
BTW - One's collection really doesn't have much to do with their taste in movies. I mean, I own XXX fer chrissakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I buy movies I like. If I don't like a movie, I won't buy it. If I own a movie, that means that I like it. So, it might not be true for you, but my movie collection reflects my taste in movies. Pretty dumb statement, by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really a dumb statement at all. I have about 400 movies, I don't like them all.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:09 AM

I didn't say that I am mature enough to watch every movie out there. I said that I can digest a lot of the movies that I am not "supposed" to watch until I am 17. For what it's worth, I feel I am smarter than 90% of kids my age(but then again, who doesn't?) I think a lot of people I know would watch the movie, be like "whoah, that was badass, Jules and Vincent are coldblooded killers, don't [censored] with them!!!"

A few would watch it, and be able to appreciate it's deeper meaning. I'm in neither of these categories.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:11 AM

Then stop buying movies you don't like. It doesn't make sense to me that a person's collection would not consist of movies that they like watching.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:17 AM

You have to watch the movie for the little things, not the overriding theme (of which there was little). You have to be able to see the internal struggle that Butch has when he's talking to Marcelus (i.e. the struggle between self interest and pride). You have to be able to see the irony in Jewels' search for salvation and the absolute non-tragedy of Vincent's death (oh God, sorry for the spoilers!). These are just a couple of things I can remember off the top of my head. I haven't seen the movie in a couple of years.

But you don't have to derive an all encompassing theme from the movie because it is, in the end...pulp fiction. Maybe that's the point.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:21 AM

But what you forget is that this movie resurrected John Revolta's career, and therefore is among the greatest crimes ever committed against humanity.