Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: War of the Worlds

[ QUOTE ]
Um, not all of us have seen the original movie.

Are you really stupid enough to put spoiler down at the bottom or were you trying to be a smartass?

[/ QUOTE ]

IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ SPOILERS, DONT CLICK THREADS TITLED WAR OF THE WORLDS!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Bad real bad.

I don't know how there's so many people that liked this. Did it have action? Sure... Beyond that it was a terribly easy to put together movie with a cope out ending.

The action kept me entertained due to the action for awhile but beyond that it just didnt cut the bill in any mannerism. It was short on plot, short on a lot of things except having a big name, and doing the things necessary to take peoples money.

If you enjoyed it you don't have a very complex taste in movies.

Just typical Hollywood assembly line crap.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:43 AM

i liked it

9.5/10

edit for some yang to the abundace of yin: i liked it because of the old school sci fi feel to it

are there things that don't make sense? yes, as there are in just about every sci fi film
Old 07-05-2005, 01:47 AM

This movie had some incredible scenes but largely was not very good. The special effects were extremely good. Best scene by far for me was the basement scene with Tim Robbins. I am not ashamed to say that my heart was pumping hard throughout most of that.

A lot of the other parts were pretty bad though, especially the slow beginning and the happy/abrupt (possibly copout) ending. I thought the major theme of the movie was what people will do to survive and how they do it. Which of course culminates in the ending where the non-human beings meet their doom.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Feh

it started well, but then became pretty dumb over the last 45 minutes.

that shot where they're running through the woods and the clothes are all falling down around them was pretty sweet.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:52 AM

Yes, an artistic shot. Speilberg is a master filmmaker, I'm a big fan. I think he may be the most important person in the history of American cinema.

But I still thought the movie was terrible. The scene where the monster's eye searched for them in Robbins' basement was interminable.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:55 AM

In more than one scene, I found myself thinking, "I can't believe this is a Speilberg film. Does he not realize how much this sucks?"
Old 07-05-2005, 01:56 AM

My wife liked the movie too (she's 47). I suppose I just don't get it. An ordinary person in a horrible situation: yes. But an ordinary person in a make-believe situation. I disliked Twister intensely too, but at least those ordinary people were facing real-life horrible situations, not an eye of an alien poking around Tim Robbins' basement looking for people to suck up.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:58 AM

To me, the theme was the importance of family sticking together. That's why I didn't mind the ending--the ending was when the family reunited, what happened to the monsters or aliens or whatever they were didn't matter.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:12 AM

The Tim Robbins scene in the basement, IMO, made the movie bearable through the end.

I liked it for what it was. It wasn't great, and I was definitely generous giving it the "8 out of 10, tops" that I did...but hey...