Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker, what to do with Money?

Well, for one, poker is not a game entirely of luck. Sure there is chance involved in every hand, and that is not guaranteed, but in the long run, I know I'm a winning player, and have a more than adaquete bankroll, so poker is not a losing proposition for me by any means, unless I'm running 35k hands luckily in the green.

Also, I feel that playing poker is not a sin because you are "preying" on those weaker than you. When you do anything in life, you want to do it to the best of your abilities and try your hardest so that you may glorify the Lord. I agree it's the same as dressing up for a job interview to impress the company. For the people that are playing poker and losing, well, I'm not encouraging them to continue playing, and certainly if they keep playing it is with their own risk and their own decision to keep playing.

And... online poker is illegal in all states in the U.S.? That is interesting.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:53 PM

Also, do you know if there is an age requirement for ING? And how much one could expect to return?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:58 PM

The legality of online poker is NOT set in stone at this point in time. If it was illegal, Senator Kyl would not be trying to get a bill passed to ban internet gambling. So, for now, you are not breaking a law.

If you have moral issues with your playing online and your winnings, then donate it to a good cause. There are plenty of causes today that are worthy.

From what I understand, Doyle Brunson has long claimed that he is a Christian. Apparently, gambling does not break his covenant with God.

Good luck with your dilemma.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:00 PM

I know, but my emphasis is on playing poker illegally because I am underaged, which the Internet sites prohibit. I play on my counsin's account, and even though he is over 18, I am not, so that is where it's tough.

Thanks for input though.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:09 PM

I'm Catholic and I live in New Jersey. Nearly every priest I know takes trips to Atlantic City and most have been to Vegas. Don't worry about the money being tainted.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 06-02-2005, 02:42 PM

Missed that bit on your age. You still aren't breaking any "law", per se.

Good luck, nonetheless.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:27 PM

I'm going to make a lot of assumptions here. I assume you've converted to Christianity or been born again or confirmed or whatever because deep down you wanted to be involved with the community that is your church.

The benefit you recieve by joining a church is an attachment to a community of people that probably actually care about you and are willing to give you advice on these matters.

I don't question your motives, but I do question why you're avoiding your church. If you're actually a part of a church, go freaking ask them. I'm sure they can give you much better advice than a poker forum can. Talk to your parents, your minister or just one of your religious friends. If you're not willing to talk to them, I don't see the benefit of joining a church.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:53 PM

Hypothetical:

You live in Hitler's Germany. You are hiding Anne Frank and her family in your attic from the Nazis. If the Nazis come to your door, are you going to give her up, because it is against the law not to?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:09 PM

Not sure on the age requirement you would have to check the terms of service for that... but the returns for the savings account are ~5% and the CDs would be even better since you could lock it up for a year.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:12 PM

You have a good point.

The main question I had on this thread was to ask for options for putting away the money someplace online until I turn 18, though. It sort of got away from that and turned to the aspect of the Christian beliefs.