Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 08:00 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Jeez Louise

Ive always thought of it as kind of a test. Put your answer down with the reasoning behind it, then check the others. If you're wrong, so what? Others will correct you and explain it to you or you can correct yourself later on in the thread. You may also bring up a point no one thought to cover that you may forget about yourself after reading all the other responses.

Respond when your ideas are fresh from reading the post in question. Then it's not tainted.

[ QUOTE ]
Do most people mind potentially duplicate reponses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most aren't reading every response unless the thread really interests them. They'll read the more familiar names to them. Or just the first few responses. Then they'll read if there's an indepth discussion taking off where the ideas are being hashed out.

It's also not about being the one with the 'unique' response for the sake of being unique. But if an different idea pops up, throw it out there.

b
Old 02-18-2005, 08:47 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
When you are out of position and headsup and the 4th card of a flush suit comes on the river, bet into your opponent no matter what you have.

[/ QUOTE ]
What if the pot is tiny (checked thru flop and turn), and you have something like 3rd pair, or rivered second pair? (Don't ask me how this would happen)

What I'm asking is if there is a threshold of worth to this play?

How small does the pot have to be to make this an -EV play? Or do you think it is always profitable?

I'm sure this doesn't come up enough to make much of a difference to my wallet, but I think these are good questions to understanding this "line".

Eh, I think I have this all wrong now after thinking about it. The bet in itself still has value.

Somebody tell me what they think about this.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Probably Novemberish. The post count in this forum just got overwhelming all of the sudden. I spend way to much time on here to start with so when I can't keep up with it I think that's a fair measure of too-many-ness.

I mainly read posts that people I know started/posted in/IM to me. That keeps me busy enough. It would be cool if I had time to write decent replies to hundreds of posts every day but as is the case I do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

ironic how that's exactly the time you started playing 6-max... hmmmm...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:16 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Probably Novemberish. The post count in this forum just got overwhelming all of the sudden. I spend way to much time on here to start with so when I can't keep up with it I think that's a fair measure of too-many-ness.

I mainly read posts that people I know started/posted in/IM to me. That keeps me busy enough. It would be cool if I had time to write decent replies to hundreds of posts every day but as is the case I do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess it's a coincidence that that's exactly the time you started playing 6-max... hmmmm... conclusion: i pwn evan
Old 02-18-2005, 09:17 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to be pedantic about this, but I'm trying to understand. So far in my limited experience A and K of the flush suit are sticking around to the river no matter what waiting for the 4th of the flush. Assuming I have none of that flush or something low and folding to a raise - the number of times I take this down makes the bet into my opponent worthwhile?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what happens when you check it to your opponent on the river:
-They will take a free showdown with hands that you beat.
-Your winners are going to be shown down without a bet on the river. This is bad, you miss many value bets this way.
-When they bet, it is more likely that they have you beat (fear of a small flush calling their pair, or the nut flush checkraising them).
-You have to pay to showdown when you are beat, and they get a free showdown when you are ahead.

Okay, so I repeated the same thing over and over. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

By betting out, you will insure that you get paid when your hands are good, and lose the same amount you did if you check-called. Check-calling rarely gets money in for your best hands.

Another thing that occurs when you bet into your opponent out of position is that a river bet on a 4 flush board will act as a "blocking" bet for you. It "blocks" you from getting raised.

It's hard to raise the river in this spot without the A or K of that suit. Less frequently you will see the third nuts raise the river. So when you do get raised, you can safely fold your hand (or not, depending on your read of course).

You don't have to fear the 6th nut flush raising your 7th nut flush or 2 pair.

I may be missing some other finer points, so if you spot it, chime in. I hope this helps you understand the play.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Get your misguided crusade out of here. [censored] the Pats.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You must be viewing in threaded mode. I recommend flat mode. You get 26 threads per page that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

While you're there (My Home -> Display preferences)

Change "Total parent posts to show per page:" to 50.

[/ QUOTE ]

50? Wowie!

(oh, and I was set to 20/page)

[/ QUOTE ]

Set it to 99, and you'll really be set.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:45 PM

Get your misguided crusade out of here. [censored] the Pats.

Given this thread and the results of the superbowl, it's obvious that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Love,
Joe Tall
Old 02-18-2005, 02:05 PM

anyone else notice the amount of 10-30 reply threads that are all over the board. ni han clark
Old 02-18-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] the Pats.

[/ QUOTE ]