Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: *****Official Astros-White Sox World Series Thread*****

I think instead of putting in replay they should take out the EXCESSIVE replay on tv. Why do we have to see the replay of a slide into second that is clearly safe 5 times all in slow motion. This is one instance where I think that technology in with replay is hurting the game, and is why being at a game live is much more enjoyable then watching on tv.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think instead of putting in replay they should take out the EXCESSIVE replay on tv. Why do we have to see the replay of a slide into second that is clearly safe 5 times all in slow motion. This is one instance where I think that technology in with replay is hurting the game, and is why being at a game live is much more enjoyable then watching on tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's either excessive replays, or stephen king's ugly mug.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At least we'll see replay in baseball soon enough after this mockery of a post-season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt it. This is hardly the first postseason with questionable calls in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

On SportsCenter yesterday Steve Philips said that each year while he was a GM, more and more GM's were voting in favor of instant replay (although I didn't quite understand that...I'd imagine it would have to be the owners who approve). The disgrace (my term, not his) of this post-season and the myriad of blown calls may be straw that break's the camel's back.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:57 PM

But don't you guys know that bad calls have happened in the game forever (remember that Yankee brat that pulled that ball into the stands). It is just now that the technology is able to really prove without a doubt that some calls made are not the correct ones.

Replays are just going crazy we see any play that isn't a routine catch and out (and even then sometimes) between 5-7 times before the next pitch. That is crazy. FOX has just been looking for bad calls.

These kind of mistakes happen all the time in the game, and are part of the essence of the game, IMO.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that was fair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough call? But it was BALL 4! Astros got lucky that it hit his bat. Unlucky that the ump thought it was his arm. But with 3 balls on the batter already your pitcher threw one not close to the zone. He woulda been lucky as can be to get another chance to walk him on the next pitch. The pitcher didn't execute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems to be skimming over the points made here by Mr. Baseball, and they are good ones. The pitch was ball 4. They got very lucky to have the ball hit his bat, but then unlucky to not get the call. If they get the call, they may very well walk him (or worse) on the next pitch anyway. The bottom line is, once that ball leaves the pitchers hand, there is a 90% chance Dye ends up on first.

I also have to agree that many Astros fans in this thread are totally being babies. How about calling a good game a good game and rooting for your team to put on a show in the next game?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough call? But it was BALL 4! Astros got lucky that it hit his bat. Unlucky that the ump thought it was his arm. But with 3 balls on the batter already your pitcher threw one not close to the zone. He woulda been lucky as can be to get another chance to walk him on the next pitch. The pitcher didn't execute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems to be skimming over the points made here by Mr. Baseball, and they are good ones. The pitch was ball 4. They got very lucky to have the ball hit his bat, but then unlucky to not get the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. The reason people are skipping over this point is that it WASNT a ball, because it DID hit the bat. What percent of the time it is a ball when it leaves the pitcher's hand is irrelevant.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The bottom line is, once that ball leaves the pitchers hand, there is a 90% chance Dye ends up on first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, actually the bottom line is, once that ball hit the batter's bat, there is a 100% chance it is a foul ball.

Unless you're Jeff Nelson.

I'm not a fan of any team in this post-season, so I can watch as a baseball fan and say the umpiring has been pathetic. And don't give me the "essence of the game" garbage. It's adds nothing to the game to award a player first base when he fouls a pitch off, or to call a guy out when he is never tagged, or to call a guy out and then let him run to first base.

People probably said the same meaningless "human element is part of the game" crap when they were considering replay in football, basketball, hockey, etc. The essence of the game is letting the players decide the outcome of the game based on what they do on the field, not based on what the umpires think they did or think they saw them do.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:12 PM

But if replay is for the players as you say then why do most of them, even Brad Ausmus, say they don't want it. Because they understand that sometimes selling a call one way or doing something a certain way to get a call is part of the game. They should always be keeping umpires accoutable but most people who have played this game over the high school level know that umpire mistakes, different strike-zones, etc are PART OF THE GAME ITSELF.

Hell the art of catching itself is to sell a strike.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it DID hit the bat

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it did. After we saw a super slo mo blow up it was quite evident it hit his bat. But in that split second the ump has to make the call it wasn't so easy to tell. The real time replay was totally inconclusive.

Since it was a way inside pitch off of the plate and the ump couldn't really tell I think he figured it's a 100% ball, it's a 50% it hit his bat and 50% it hit his arm, might as well give the benefit of the doubt because it was a crappy pitch and I couldn't tell.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Since it was a way inside pitch off of the plate and the ump couldn't really tell I think he figured it's a 100% ball, it's a 50% it hit his bat and 50% it hit his arm, might as well give the benefit of the doubt because it was a crappy pitch and I couldn't tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah let's just keep giving the Sox the benefit of the doubt. That seems fair to me! Oh, and "I couldn't tell" does not suffice as an excuse for an umpire. These are supposed to be the best umps in the world. Get it right or get replay.