Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Cheating at the WSOP?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you notice you have a card that hits the board, bet it up, if you get called down its free, if not then the hand is void.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very possible that your hand will be declared dead, especially if the floor believes you knew about the problem. You could cost yourself money doing this.

More importantly, you simply being dishonest. There's no need to degrade yourself in order to win money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about the very real possibility that someone could've been switching out cards. This is certainly tougher to detect, esp. if the player fires their cards into the muck, making it difficult for the dealer to verify that both cards have been relinquished. The only other counter-measure I can think of is for the dealer to count down the deck, which is too time-consuming to do very often. I suppose players could be prohibited from firing their cards into the muck, which would make it easier for the dealer to verify that both cards are being turned in.

But is it also possible that a player could switch in cards that they've brought with them, rather than a card held out from one of their previous hands? Seems like this would be fairly easy to do if they use standard KEM decks that anyone can buy. Anybody know if the WSOP decks are customized?

Dynasty, I hope you're not counting on an aversion to dishonesty and self-degradation to prevent everyone from cheating! I think increasing the chances of getting caught would be much more effective. Maybe random strip searches are the answer... ;-)
Old 05-29-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Men, WORLD CLASS?

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps even one of the very best Barry Bonds succumbed to the pressure to be at the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

is there a steroid to make one's reflexes quicker? bonds is bonds because he works as hard as any athlete alive, not drugs. you are a blasphemer, sir!

cheers!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:43 AM

Default joking?

Steroids help you get bigger and stronger, which can mean more bat speed, which means you can wait longer on pitches and hit them harder when you connect. Please.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: joking?

So, I guess Babe Ruth was on something? In fact he was. He was always high on hot dogs and beer. He hit more home runs in one year than 5 other teams did in aggregate. I wonder what rumors would have been back then if we had the same drug problem we do now?

Some people are much better than others and always will be.
Bonds happens to be one of them.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Men, WORLD CLASS?

I was not trying to spark a steroid debate, but MLB acknowledges that something in the range of 5-6% of players tested positive during anonymous testing. Note I said "perhaps even one of the best succumbed" I did not say Barry definitely did steroids but IT WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME if at some point concrete evidence comes out that's all.

My point was that even players making millions at the pro baseball level CHEAT. So if you think that players trying to eek out a living by playing poker won't cheat then you are kidding yourself!!!

End of story, no disrespect meant to Bonds at the moment but it's gonna get interesting now that BALCO's illicit activities have been found and there sure have been a lot of coincidences so far round Barry.