Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2004, 05:40 AM

Default Two points

You are right in one aspect. Poker is one of the few purely capitalist activities left. I put up my own money and take the risk. I think this is one of the things I love most about it.

You are also basically right about pros being exploited and I only want to make one exception. I think almost every sports figure is over paid but I often use Michael Jordan as an example. Stadiums filled at everyone of the games he played in and he was a major reason for that. Now I am not even a basketball fan but I often found myself watching him. My point is that if their was a pro that everytime he or she was on WPT the viewership was up ten percent, I think if I were that pro I would demand a premium to be there. That also is pure capitalism. If they are gonna be able to make more money because I am there I am gonna get a cut.

Unfortunately this would most likely cause some Enron, Worldcom type decissions that would make sure the pro in question would make it to most final tables and thus cheapen the experience for real poker enthusiasts. But hey anything for ratings. Jerry Springer rules, it makes me want to shoot myself in the head to even think I belong to a society where that show is popular but he rules.