Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: You rate your top 10 NCAA Teams

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I think that compared to most people, I care a lot more about margin of victory

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how do you like Oregon more than Fresno when Oregon got massacred at home by USC, while Fresno nearly beat them on the road?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically because Fresno has a weaker schedule, plus I remembered that Oregon had better numbers than I thought when I looked at the numbers a week ago. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I went and really looked at the schedules/results and now I think I agree with you that Fresno is superior.

I still think it's pretty close though.

I also think Fresno has "accomplished" more in some sense. My rankings are predictive as opposed to meritorious.

Sagarin predictor has Oregon 2 points better.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:27 PM

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Virginia Tech
4. LSU
5. Ohio State
6. Miami
7. Auburn
8. Georgia
9. Penn State
10. Notre Dame
Old 11-20-2005, 08:39 PM

I cannot how imagine a reasonable, thinking human being would come to the conclusion that Notre Dame would beat Ohio State, or even Virginia Tech or Georgia. Playing a mostly cake schedule and being on TV a lot apparently makes up for, you know, being good at football.

Any of those teams would embarrass ND on a neutral field. At home, ND might keep it close, but no [censored] way is ND BCS bound if they were in a real conference. Put them in the Big Ten or SEC and they are a 4 loss team.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:03 PM

Clarky representing! One thing I also want to point out in the Oregon game is that there was a fumble by Oregon that was not allowed due to a inadvertant whisle. Also, Penalties were 16 to 6 in favor of Oregon with a Pac 10 crew. Anyway, they play that on a neutral field and Fresno wins. My top 10:

1. USC
2. Texas
3. Penn State
4. LSU
5. Auburn
6. Fresno State
7. Notre Dame
8. Oregon
9. Ohio State
10. Georgia

I have Georgia ranked higher than Va. Tech because one of the losses was without Shockley. Plus, Va. Tech was embarrassed against Miami.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:03 PM

Anyone who refers to NDs schedule as "mostly cake" is unreasonable and borderline retarded
Old 11-20-2005, 09:06 PM

They played 2 teams that will finish in the top 25.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot how imagine a reasonable, thinking human being would come to the conclusion that Notre Dame would beat Ohio State, or even Virginia Tech or Georgia. Playing a mostly cake schedule and being on TV a lot apparently makes up for, you know, being good at football.

Any of those teams would embarrass ND on a neutral field. At home, ND might keep it close, but no [censored] way is ND BCS bound if they were in a real conference. Put them in the Big Ten or SEC and they are a 4 loss team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how a reasonable, thinking human being can think that ND would be embarassed by anyone this year. They have 8 blow out wins, 1 close win, and 2 losses on the final play of the game.

Now, let's look at Ohio State's schedule. ND and Ohio State have two games in common, Michigan State and Michigan. Michigan is a wash, both teams won in Ann Arbor. ND lost to Michigan State in OT while Ohio State won by 11, but it could have been closer if not for a 10 point swing at the end of the half thanks to only having 10 men on the field for a field goal attempt that was blocked and returned for a touchdown. Besides that, Ohio State lost to Penn State and Texas, two good teams, and ND lost to USC, another good team. So, why again would anyone expect anything other than a close game?

Virgina Tech has several good wins over Georgia Tech and BC, but one awful loss to Miami. So, who knows? Georgia, they have two losses as well and beat the only common opponent, Tennessee, 27-14, while ND won 41-21. So, I think the only reaonable conclusion anyone can come to is that there is a very high likelihood that there would be a good game between ND and anyone of those teams. Anyone who says otherwise is extremely biased, IMO.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:11 PM

Pitt, MSU, Tenn were all ranked at the time of the game...Preseason their schedule was the toughest in the nation by far...remember all the talks about them potentially starting 0-5? Plus, every team they played was from a major conference, I dont see any Appalacian St-esque teams scheduled unlike some of the other schools you mentioned
Old 11-20-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Michigan is a wash, both teams won in Ann Arbor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being too kind. ND basically owned the Michigan game from start to finish, while OSU needed a big time 4th quarter comeback for their win.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:13 PM

Who cares about preseason? We have the actual season to go by now.

Also, what major conference does Navy play in?