[/ QUOTE ]

Great article.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: A conversation w/ daryn re: being a teacher

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't get to pick your schools either, and many teaching systems have you basically with no benefits for a long time and shuffled around to the worst, most dangerous and hopeless schools for a long time, too.

If you could pick your school and stay stuck in it, it would be a lot better than having to work one day or week in one place, one in the next, and spend your first few years in babysitting warehouses where the kids are all hopeless and nobody cares.

Especially here in California, where a major, sometimes pretty much only qualification for being a teacher in the past has been the ability to speak Spanish. You aren't necessarily getting a lot of well trained and hopefully passably smart teachers to mingle with, or cute ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is massachusetts where people are generally smarter and you have to have a masters degree to teach

[/ QUOTE ]

you need a masters degree to teach highschool math?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, wrong. I'm currently in school now to become a teacher (Secondary Education major). In your last semester before your bachelor's you student teach and then you can go out and get a job. Plenty of my student teachers were teaching their own class at the same school within two years.

Maybe you need a masters *math* degree, but if you have a bachelor's in sec. ed-math, you can get a job.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Massachusetts (I taught at Weymouth and Brookline HS before selling out and joining the financial world) you don't need a masters to start teaching. You need to *start* the process of getting a masters within five years of starting teaching. Thus, you can just start taking classes during your fifth year and not get your masters until your eighth year, I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am fully aware of this... but eventually you need that joint.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't get to pick your schools either, and many teaching systems have you basically with no benefits for a long time and shuffled around to the worst, most dangerous and hopeless schools for a long time, too.

If you could pick your school and stay stuck in it, it would be a lot better than having to work one day or week in one place, one in the next, and spend your first few years in babysitting warehouses where the kids are all hopeless and nobody cares.

Especially here in California, where a major, sometimes pretty much only qualification for being a teacher in the past has been the ability to speak Spanish. You aren't necessarily getting a lot of well trained and hopefully passably smart teachers to mingle with, or cute ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is massachusetts where people are generally smarter and you have to have a masters degree to teach

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, wrong. I'm currently in school now to become a teacher (Secondary Education major). In your last semester before your bachelor's you student teach and then you can go out and get a job. Plenty of my student teachers were teaching their own class at the same school within two years.

Maybe you need a masters *math* degree, but if you have a bachelor's in sec. ed-math, you can get a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you in massachusetts? if no, STFU
Old 11-12-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

just curious, did your parents pay for your college?
Old 11-12-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we just about split it

initially it was mostly them, but as poker entered the equation i started paying and even hit them with a lot of cash after graduation
Old 11-12-2005, 08:04 PM

I was responding to:

"you need a masters degree to teach highschool math?"
"yes"

I'm sure you could get a job in a neighboring state fairly easily. rhode island for one is a big recruiter of new teachers.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we just about split it

initially it was mostly them, but as poker entered the equation i started paying and even hit them with a lot of cash after graduation

[/ QUOTE ]

have you taken care of your tuition from poker? i believe you went to MIT?

if 33k was the highest starting salary, its gonna be rough wont it?
Old 11-12-2005, 08:06 PM

I'm pretty sure you'd need to get certified, though. I'm not quite sure of the certification process for people without education degrees.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you'd need to get certified, though. I'm not quite sure of the certification process for people without education degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

here is what i could never stand to be a teacher: all these strict rules and general bs. An education degree? That sounds like a complete waste of time. The procedure for being a teacher is too mechanical. I think that all of this nonsense weeds out all of the creative people.