Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Note To the Religion Advocates

[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile many posters on this forum are much stronger in their anti religious view than I am. I only want people to admit that their specific religous beliefs deserve to be considered big underdogs in the eyes of a educated observer without faith. But many here say the same thing about God in general. I'm not so adament about that, though I think they are right. The problem is that the athiests don't always make themselves clear. Because of that religious posters go after them with arguments about the creation of the universe, the Big Bang etc. And in their zeal to counter these arguments these atheists resort to explaining why the universe needed no creator.

But that is off the subject. Because from my standpoint this isn't the issue that needs be decided.

[/ QUOTE ]

As this is off the subject, I should respond to it. I'm not one of the anti-religous ones but do 'resort' to explaining why the existence of the universe doesn't imply a creator.

You are particularly interested in one example of flawed thinking - unreasonable belief that their religon is likely to be correct. I dont give a monkies about any particular example, I'm interested in the process of thinking flawed or not.

If those with flawed thinking processes (including all of us to different extents) could improve then that would remove a lot of flawed conclusions including the one that bothers you so much.

Its tough because we are all reluctant to face up to some flaws. Its so much easier to not think at all, or to misunderstand others to the point that what they say is rubbish and can be dismissed.

chez
Old 10-31-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont give a monkies about any particular example, I'm interested in the process of thinking flawed or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. It actually applies to some others on here also, it just gets lost in the swamp of specific cases. This interest appears to be innate, at least other people I know who share this interest understand the following example.

My wife is bothered by untidiness, and is very much a "everything has it's place" and she was that way since childhood apparently ( not an uncommon trait).

I seem to have been born with the "fingernails on the blackboard" reaction to untidy thinking. Playing poker online while reading this forum and watching TV news I hear this report, "The alledged murderer killed her with this knife." and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. silly, but just as my wifes hangup , it bothers me, silly or not.

I'm not equating your interest in clear thinking to my example, just pointing out that it's not even of interest to many people and more difficult for them even in the cases that they are interested. Try my simple example on some people at random and see if they even get it ( even ones that would be considered smart).

[ QUOTE ]

If those with flawed thinking processes (including all of us to different extents)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's the point of posting to a forum like this, there are lots of good minds that can point to errors made, other factors that neeed to be considered, or a better approach to a problem area. The actual topic can in some ways be secondary to the desire for the best way to resolve it.

thanks for the comment,
Old 10-31-2005, 03:25 PM

chez,

[ QUOTE ]
As this is off the subject, I should respond to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still hungover?

RJT

p.s. How was your evening, btw? Did you find the other fellow to be a genius too; and if so did he have an opinion on the general religion topic of this forum?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chez,

[ QUOTE ]
As this is off the subject, I should respond to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still hungover?

RJT

p.s. How was your evening, btw? Did you find the other fellow to be a genius too; and if so did he have an opinion on the general religion topic of this forum?

[/ QUOTE ]
His just been promoted to maths professor at a top uk university so I guess he qualifies.

Not much of interest to the forum. Mostly just fun although there was an exciting debate on whether maths results should be patentable. There was also much discussion on which country we would choose to live in if we could have the same job we have now. Brazil was the majority vote.

Have I strayed even more off-topic [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chez