Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

[ QUOTE ]
as a % of those who watch the superbowl

[/ QUOTE ]

30%-40%

only if aired in prime time
Old 10-17-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch

[ QUOTE ]
As I said, I know little about football/soccer.

However, I still don't see why this makes it certain that the US would not reach Brazil's level. Of the countries you mentioned, we have over 4 times the population of all of them except Germany, where we have about 3.7 times the population. From that alone, we should be able to field a far superior team.

We also have a fairly diverse population (read: we're not all white guys with a 9 inch vertical). On average, we might not be as "skilled" and "athletic" as Brazil, but why the [censored] don't they whoop our asses in track and field in the Olympics?

Seriously, if you don't think the US would *probably* be the best team in the world if we cared about soccer as much as Brazil, then you are dead wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew anything about football you would understand how stupid you sound.

It's typical of Americans to believe that they are best in everything and the things they aren't the best at they don't care about.

It wouldn't matter if you had the population of China and cared 1000% more, there is only one Brazil. They are unique form all other footballing powers.

Mate at Athens 2004 your country won 103 medals with a population of 250+ million. My country won 49 medals with a population of 20 million.

Who's stronger?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 PM

My wang is bigger than yours.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Mate at Athens 2004 your country won 103 medals with a population of 250+ million. My country won 49 medals with a population of 20 million.

Who's stronger?

[/ QUOTE ]

America's sports resources go overwelmingly into domestic competitions (which makes it nearly imposible to make a fair overall comparison between America's and other countries in tearms of athletics). Our best Athletes play in the NBA, MLB, and NFL. Clearly we don't put much emphesis on soccer, or individual olympic events.

Even in "our" sports (i.e [American]football, baseball, and basketball), we don't put many resources into international competition.

If we put our best athletes into soccer, or the olympics, we would be as good as anyone in the world.

[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't matter if you had the population of China and cared 1000% more, there is only one Brazil. They are unique form all other footballing powers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statment is idotic. There is no special Brazilness that causes a country to be good at soccer. All it takes is for a large country to be soccer crazy for an extended period of time.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

[ QUOTE ]
Hello CONCACAF is a farce, Mexico and the US will qualify for the WC every four years with out fail, as Australia will always win Oceania. You remove the mentioned nations and both regions are about as bad as each other. Granted CONCACAF is probably of marginally higher quality. So how do you justify CONCACAF having 3.5 qualification spots and Oceania having 0.5.

Furthermore Austalia have to play Uruguay for a spot in the finals whilst sitting back and watching Trinidad and Tobago duke it out with Bahrain, how is this fair?

[/ QUOTE ]

oceania should have an automatic spot, I don't disagree with that at all, and because of FIFA's ineptitude in granting an automatic spot, Oceania is gonna be even more marginalized when Australia joins the AFC

The Concacaf is a stronger region then many give it credit for. Of course there will be the automatic entries that are garunteed in the US and Mexico, but nations like Jamaica and Costa Rica have done decent jobs in world cup competition. I still don't think that the AFC is anywhere near the relative strength of Concacaf, but they get 4.5 spots, even though their nations have been doormats for the most part. But those nations deserve to be on the big stage and deserve the money they recieve from it, same goes for Concacaf. I don't think that South America deserves the possible 5th spot that they get. Conmebol is a fairly small region and has a strong structure, and that nation doesn't normally deserve(IMO) the extra exposure that the world cup provides
Old 10-17-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Who's stronger?

[/ QUOTE ]

America's sports resources go overwelmingly into domestic competitions (which makes it nearly imposible to make a fair overall comparison between America's and other countries in tearms of athletics). Our best Athletes play in the NBA, MLB, and NFL. Clearly we don't put much emphesis on soccer, or individual olympic events.

Even in "our" sports (i.e [American]football, baseball, and basketball), we don't put many resources into international competition.

If we put our best athletes into soccer, or the olympics, we would be as good as anyone in the world.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statment is idotic. There is no special Brazilness that causes a country to be good at soccer. All it takes is for a large country to be soccer crazy for an extended period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate, I've played, coached and watched football all my life.
People who know the game will understand where I'm coming from.

Brazil are poverty strickened.
There domestic league is corrupt and farcical.
There players leave to play for big European clubs.

The state of the game in Brazil is so bad that its hard to understand how they compete let alone churn out the very best players in the world.

It's not passion its a religion to these people. Romario grew up in a ghetto learning to play by kicking around a ball made from socks which had been tied together.
Pele juggled oranges when he was a boy. You cant buy that it's intangible.

If you bothered to watch all the top nations you will notice that many of them play with similar styles but Brazil I say it again are unique, they play in a way that no one else can(some African nations possess some similarity).

Culturally they are flamboyant and expressive people and its reflected in the way they play.

Ever heard of Latin flair, can't you see that it's impossible to emulate this unless it runs through your veins.

The US play a more workman like European type game. The best the US could ever hope for is to be as good as Germany or Holland BUT THERE NO BRAZIL

Mind you in football the best team doesn't always win, as its a low scoring sport its the nature of the game at times for a team to dominate and lose.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hello CONCACAF is a farce, Mexico and the US will qualify for the WC every four years with out fail, as Australia will always win Oceania. You remove the mentioned nations and both regions are about as bad as each other. Granted CONCACAF is probably of marginally higher quality. So how do you justify CONCACAF having 3.5 qualification spots and Oceania having 0.5.

Furthermore Austalia have to play Uruguay for a spot in the finals whilst sitting back and watching Trinidad and Tobago duke it out with Bahrain, how is this fair?

[/ QUOTE ]

oceania should have an automatic spot, I don't disagree with that at all, and because of FIFA's ineptitude in granting an automatic spot, Oceania is gonna be even more marginalized when Australia joins the AFC

The Concacaf is a stronger region then many give it credit for. Of course there will be the automatic entries that are garunteed in the US and Mexico, but nations like Jamaica and Costa Rica have done decent jobs in world cup competition. I still don't think that the AFC is anywhere near the relative strength of Concacaf, but they get 4.5 spots, even though their nations have been doormats for the most part. But those nations deserve to be on the big stage and deserve the money they recieve from it, same goes for Concacaf. I don't think that South America deserves the possible 5th spot that they get. Conmebol is a fairly small region and has a strong structure, and that nation doesn't normally deserve(IMO) the extra exposure that the world cup provides

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO

Oceania Should have 1 place.

The remaining place should be decided in a 3 way round robin between Asia, CONCACAF and Conmebol.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:35 PM

10% max.

Soccer blows.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Who's stronger?

[/ QUOTE ]
By your numbers, it looks like my country is stronger. Maybe the dingo ate your baby.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:32 AM

i pretty much agree.