Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Writing my College Essay on Poker?

I did not read all of the responses, so I don't know what most people are saying... but this is clearly a bad idea.

There is absolutely nothing at all you can disclose about your individuality and humanity through a poker essay that you couldn't disclose by discussing another topic. On the other hand, there is a huge potential downside due to the fact that you are discussing a form of gambling which is illegal in most states.

Be smart, dude. There rates to be something in the universe that you could speak intelligently about other than poker. Choose that thing.

Irieguy
Old 10-03-2005, 06:43 PM

Straight up, it could definitly fly if you played the negative angle. How "no one really wins except the house" and gambl00r has a hold of everyone who plays, ruins families that kind of thing. It'd be a way to write it about poker, which they would appreciate because your writing about something relevant to the times, not just some random life dribble. They'd probably have very similar views towards poker too, and even if by some miracle they didn't, they'd have to appreciate your argument.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Be smart, dude. There rates to be something in the universe that you could speak intelligently about other than poker. Choose that thing.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Like making a 9 year old cry??

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I expected like almost the exact opposite response to the OP from you, [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Weird.

Of course, you're not wrong. In fact, you're spot on.

I still think that if poker is what moves him, it is what he should write about.

Yugoslav
Old 10-03-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Like making a 9 year old cry??

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I expected like almost the exact opposite response to the OP from you, [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Weird.

Of course, you're not wrong. In fact, you're spot on.

I still think that if poker is what moves him, it is what he should write about.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you spell moeran?

No Rides for You [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

right...so for your college entry essay, you wrote about almost naked women?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:32 PM

If you've already decided to do it, don't assumer that whoever is reading it knows a lot about poker. Also remember that whoever is reading it has to read dozens of these at a time, so make it stand out.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did not read all of the responses, so I don't know what most people are saying... but this is clearly a bad idea.

There is absolutely nothing at all you can disclose about your individuality and humanity through a poker essay that you couldn't disclose by discussing another topic. On the other hand, there is a huge potential downside due to the fact that you are discussing a form of gambling which is illegal in most states.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to Irieguy. I agree with him almost always as I do in this case.

Writing an intelligent essay on poker will not help you anymore than writing an inteligent essay on any other topic, but it can hurt you big time.

I suppose you know that online poker and college age gambling are hot topics among college circles these days and potentially will not be looked upon favorable.

X
Old 10-03-2005, 11:04 PM

I vote push. If it's what you're really interested in you'll write a better essay IMO. Be careful in how you word it though.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I vote push. If it's what you're really interested in you'll write a better essay IMO. Be careful in how you word it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrid advice, the average high school kid should just write about sex then (which potentially is less controversial than gambling to a college admissions officer).

X
Old 10-03-2005, 11:32 PM

bad idea