Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Phillip Rivers

[ QUOTE ]
You're an idiot. 25 is not old for a football player, much less a QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Chris Weinke was a freshman at FSU when he was 25. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 01:20 AM

All Im saying is, why trade a #1 for a guy who will be almost 26, when you can just draft a younger guy. Buy the time Rivers hits his grove he'll be 27 or 28. Look at Alex Smith, he's 21, wouldnt you like to have those extra years?

Oh and thanks for the name calling, it really validates your argument and shows real class. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All Im saying is, why trade a #1 for a guy who will be almost 26, when you can just draft a younger guy. Buy the time Rivers hits his grove he'll be 27 or 28. Look at Alex Smith, he's 21, wouldnt you like to have those extra years?

Oh and thanks for the name calling, it really validates your argument and shows real class. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the name calling. I'm drunk. But for the record, Rivers learning curve is much less than Young's or Leinert or any other rookie QB. He's ready to play. He won't be his best immediately, of course, but he doesn't need 2 years to get there.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the name calling. I'm drunk. But for the record, Rivers learning curve is much less than Young's or Leinert or any other rookie QB. He's ready to play. He won't be his best immediately, of course, but he doesn't need 2 years to get there.

[/ QUOTE ]

No prob, thanks for appoligizing. I dont know why you would say he is ready to play or that his learning curve is less. Nobody knows if he is ready or what his learning curve will be, he has never played in the NFL regular season. Just because he has rode the pine for 2 years doesnt mean he is ready. There is only so much a QB can learn holding a clipboard. Carson Palmer sat for a year and he still had a big learning curve, he stunk last year until the end of the season. Rivers could end up haveing a 1 year learning curve like Palmer or a 5+ year learning curve like Harrington. It is still unknown if he can play in the NFL. I feel the same way about Henson as a Cowboys fan. They keep saying he's the QB of the future. Well, hell, he's already 25 1/2, buy the time the "future" is ready it will be time to draft another younger future QB.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:43 AM

"a 5+ year learning curve like Harrington."

At the end of 5 years he prob won't be good.

As for Henson, he was so long out of football that he doesn't belong in this conversation. He is a unique case, for sure, and best of luck with him.

Of course I don't know that Rivers is ready. I just think that practicing with NFL players makes him closer than a rookie. Its unprovable either way, for sure, but I think it seems reasonable.