Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: DVDs by Director

Yeah, the commentary is good on that disk. Good commentary and supplementary materials, can add so much to the experience and understanding of a picture. It can make the value and appreciation just skyrocket. I wish it wasn't so rare.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the commentary is good on that disk. Good commentary and supplementary materials, can add so much to the experience and understanding of a picture. It can make the value and appreciation just skyrocket. I wish it wasn't so rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I actually owned the disk for a couple years before listening to the commentary because I was used to the idea that commentary = boring. Someone I trusted recommended the commentary, otherwise I might never have caught it.

One of the best commentaries I've heard. I wish it had more competition.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Ran his take on King Lear, or am I thinking of something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, part of my reason for putting Ran in my list is that I have always liked the King Lear Story
Old 09-15-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about Kurosawa's Dreams. I've seen quite a few of his films but never this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was his last film. Its excellent. It is pretty much a social commentary on the things that are going on: Nuclear War, Overuse of Technology, horrors of war, destruction of the enviorment, its very good
Old 09-15-2005, 01:11 PM

Even good directors always make at least a few shitty movies, which you don't want to own and will probably end up in your closet. You will be much better off just buying good movies.

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Terence Malick. He's only made three movies and they are all good, especially Badlands and Days of Heaven.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:17 PM

He was one of the first names that came to mind for me, but there's a hate-fest going on in this forum about that war movie he made. People seem to really hate it. I think Badlands is incredibly great, though, and liked Days of Heaven too. And his catalogue is about as small as it gets.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Terence Malick. He's only made three movies and they are all good, especially Badlands and Days of Heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't wait for the new one. Do you know when it comes out?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He was one of the first names that came to mind for me, but there's a hate-fest going on in this forum about that war movie he made. People seem to really hate it. I think Badlands is incredibly great, though, and liked Days of Heaven too. And his catalogue is about as small as it gets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the reason people didn't like Thin Red Line was because it had the misfortune of coming out the same year as Saving Private Ryan. Inevitably it would be compared to "Ryan" and would not hold up as a 'war movie'
Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the reason people didn't like Thin Red Line was because it had the misfortune of coming out the same year as Saving Private Ryan. Inevitably it would be compared to "Ryan" and would not hold up as a 'war movie'

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know...I didn't like Thin Red Line because it dragged a$$ and I had a hard time staying awake for it. I saw it before I saw Saving Private Ryan.

Badlands is a fantastic movie though, and I've heard good things about Days of Heaven.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know...I didn't like Thin Red Line because it dragged a$$ and I had a hard time staying awake for it. I saw it before I saw Saving Private Ryan.

Badlands is a fantastic movie though, and I've heard good things about Days of Heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I first saw it I thought it dragged too. But that's if you actually care about action rather than exploration of self blah blahblah blah... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Badlands is the most watchable, but Days of Heaven is visually gorgeous.