Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 08:01 AM

Default Re: A support out troops thread on this 9/11 anniversary.

[ QUOTE ]
Op says the military is conducting the war to support freedom. So he's brought up himself the conduct of the war.

he injected politics into the thread. Which, of course, was his obvious intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the key word in BGC's OP was "needs", which is why I bolded it in my quote - the implication was obvious.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Op says the military is conducting the war to support freedom. So he's brought up himself the conduct of the war.

he injected politics into the thread. Which, of course, was his obvious intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the key word in BGC's OP was "needs", which is why I bolded it in my quote - the implication was obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys debating the constitution here? I think not, Stop dissecting everyone's posts down to a word, most people dont spend an hour deciding on the syntax and possible meaning of their posts.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:21 AM

Yes, but as AndyFox put it so well, it was BGC who started the politicizing, which makes it kinda strange to start picking on people responding in kind.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Same difference

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be nice if we could say a few words in support of our troops in the War against Terrorism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant to say the American troops in Iraq.

Different thing.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 AM

How did he politicize it? Because he put the word "need" in there? Good encoding there.....
Old 09-12-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Same difference

No I think he means terrorism, we should have support for all our troops even if they are currently at home.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:03 AM

I'd say that the choice of words
"War against Terrorism."
"the work for freedom"
are very political. You may think otherwise, but then I'd venture the guess that you agree with the premises.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say that the choice of words
"War against Terrorism."
"the work for freedom"
are very political. You may think otherwise, but then I'd venture the guess that you agree with the premises.

[/ QUOTE ]

They (they = right-wingers who make these kinds of demands for support) know it's political; if you haven't realized it already, all of the "cmon stop politicizing this" and the "it's really sad how low liberals have stooped when they can't stop criticizing, especially TODAY" is more or less trying to use the anniversary of Sept. 11 to justify demanding that critics of the war "shutup and stop criticizing".

The demand is as empty on Sept. 11th as it is on Sept. 10th and Sept. 12th, but they'll ask that we "leave discussion of the conduct of the war" to some other day nonetheless.

In other words, I think it's pretty naive to think that this post (and demands like it) have anything to do with voicing our support, or letting our troops know about how much we care. It's an internet message board. Troops likely won't be spending their time reading this board; not only that, we all know troops won't see this. If this post were really about 'voicing' support to troops, it's completely superficial and pointless.

What this post really is (duh) is a (not so) subtle way of letting all war opponents know that Sept. 11th justifies all of the post - 9/11 war fighting the United State is doing.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:02 PM

Nobody's dissecting. OP made a political post and then says let's not discuss politics.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:29 PM

The right likes to scream at the liberal fools who dare to question the war effort, during any kind of anniversiry, or at some critical juncture during the conflict. "How dare they undermine the troops?! How dare they bring up such a thing while people are dying in battle. These detractors are clearly not patriots, otherwise they wouldn't dream of saying a bad word about the cause, and by implication critisise the troops on the ground."

Variations of this argument get wheeled out time and time again. Oh so recently, when things weren't going well for the New Orleans disaster relief effort, many were rightly critisising the management of said effort on many levels. "How dare you criticize at this time" the right squealed, repeating the same old mantra they have been trained to bleat. "You people aren't patriots, if you were you'd be helping now, not critisising".

It's disgusting that this has become the standard response from the right. It's even more disgusting that so many people have brought into this way of thinking, and indignantly think "yeah, those damn liberals, they hate America".