Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Full Tables Stink. Little Money to Be Made There.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to give 6max a try. How many more hands can you play per hour, and can you play as many tables at once? I am beating 1/2 full for 3.3/100 over 45K hands, and am able to 4table, so I'm wondering if you think it would be worth trying to go to 6max, can I beat it for the same rate playing the same # tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

you prob should have moved up a while ago

6max is faster paced, but you get about the same # of hands 3tabling, as you do 4tabling fullring. I usually 2-3table since I get better reads that way
Old 09-11-2005, 08:57 PM

You can probably beat it for more. I'd say give it a shot and start to get a feel for where and when to deviate from your ring game hand selection. Look at HFAP for advice on playing for/against blind steals and short handed play in general. It's a little more aggressive and way more fun.

Try adding one 6max table to your rotation and see if you can crack heads there just as well.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:10 PM

Do you have any general advice about 6max? Are the bad players mostly loose-aggressive or loose-passive? Probably I will give it a shot next time Party or Empire does a bonus. I want to eventually move up to 2/4 after doing some 6max, I just recently found PokerAce and that has helped a lot with game selection, and I've been doing better at 2/4 lately. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a shot. I want to mix it up a little bit. 4-tabling the 1/2 is so boring. I'd appreciate any other words of wisdom you have about 6max.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:12 PM

I don't know if it's coincidence or if these tables really are getting worse but I just can't seem to win anymore. It used to be so easy I didn't even have to pay attention, but now I'm losing large amounts rapidly every time I sit down. Worst downswing of my whole career. The weirdest thing is that I can't really tell if it's bad luck or bad play. The only thing I'm doing differently from before is that I open raise and try to steal blinds more often. I might be calling people down too often also, but I'm not really doing it any more frequently than I used to.

WTF?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:25 PM

I have noticed that there are not as many LAGs and maniacs as there used to be, so it is not as easy just to sit back and get paid off on your big hands. But the players are SOOOO predictable at 1/2, the weak-tighties play weak tight, the loose passives play loose passive, the loose aggressives play loose aggressive and the TAGs aren't really TAGs. Just have to learn how to adjust to each type of player. And everyone plays so poorly post flop.

FWIW I think that blind stealing/defense should not be a huge consideration at 1/2. If you are playing at a table where it's routinely folded to the CO/button you should find a better table. Most players at 1/2 also aren't really thinking about blind stealing and until proven otherwise I think it is best to avoid blind defense situations. If you're playing short handed or at a tight table, you have to defend but I try to avoid those situations. Similarly I think it is best to avoid marginal blind steal situations at 1/2.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:56 PM

Hmm... Are you including 1/2 9-max in this sample? I always try to get on a 9-max table rather than full 10 players, and I frequently get in the 30's VPIP.

This may be a 'your mileage may vary' situation.

And there IS money to be made in 1/2. Here's my 1/2 graph for the 13k hands:

You can see I'm in a bit of a downturn at the moment... although it is hard to tell if it is a 6K breakeven period or a 3K downturn. But I'm still very much in the black as far as money to be made.

I play mostly 1/2 9-max, although some full tables are in there.

KO

PS: My PT stats have gone from 18/8 at .5/1 to 21/9 at 1/2.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed that there are not as many LAGs and maniacs as there used to be

[/ QUOTE ]
It is my contention that about half the people who play online for over a week have skimmed a beginner poker book (or if they're cheap, Googled "poker tips"). They retained stuff about slowplaying AA and KK, and that really kewl check-raise thing, and scanned/printed a starting hand chart. Then they put the book away and will never refer to it again.

This makes them tighter (fewer people to a flop) and trickier, but when their chart-approved starting hand flops a gutshot, they'll still chase it to the ends of the earth.

Just my big blind at the $.02/.04 table.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:34 PM

I'll go ahead and second that notion. And as you can tell from my total stats, I am not getting away with my LAGGY strategy at 2/4 and 3/6 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 11:43 PM

I honestly have no idea what the hell you are talking about. But to each his own.