Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Benching your own weight once

[ QUOTE ]
for someone who's never benched? prop bet? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if there were a way to do it fairly, I'd say yea. In three months it should be easy for someone moderately unfit.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The truly elite feat is a 2X bodyweight bench but that is usually only seen from competitive lifters and may be what you are thinking of.

[/ QUOTE ]

2X is not an elite feat, not even close

i was up to 1.5X 160/240 in a pretty short amount of time, 6-8 month.

if you arent fat, its easy to get to 1X in 3 months or so imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

2x your body weight is very hard to do. And there is a HUGE difference betweeen benching 1.5x and 2x your body weight. For example, if you weigh 150, benching 225 is not that hard. But getting that next 75 pounds while staying at 150 is extremely diffucult.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:15 AM

The whole 1x, 1.5x, 2x body weight is a bogus benchmark to begin with. It's a hell of a lot easier for a 5'6'', 170 lb. guy to bench his weight than a 6'4'' 180 lb. guy. There needs to be some sort of "weight per inch" measurement to more accurately gauge how impressive your bench is.

That said, I am a 6'1'' skinny guy, and it only took me 2-3 months of training to bench my weight, it's not that difficult. I can do about 1.5x now, but I doubt there's any way I'll ever reach 2x. That's significantly less than 1% of the population, IMO.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
100% of your weight isn't that difficult as a rule, but it does depend on your body build. When I was at my weight lifting peak I was 6'8" and about 215lbs. At that point my all-time max was 235lbs. Not very impressive in terms of percentage of body weight, but for my skinny frame and long-ass arms I felt pretty good about it.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I'm a skinny man with long arms (6'3, 168 lbs last time I checked) and benching 170 seems pretty unrealistic to me.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The truly elite feat is a 2X bodyweight bench but that is usually only seen from competitive lifters and may be what you are thinking of.

[/ QUOTE ]

2X is not an elite feat, not even close

i was up to 1.5X 160/240 in a pretty short amount of time, 6-8 month.

if you arent fat, its easy to get to 1X in 3 months or so imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

2x your body weight is very hard to do. And there is a HUGE difference betweeen benching 1.5x and 2x your body weight. For example, if you weigh 150, benching 225 is not that hard. But getting that next 75 pounds while staying at 150 is extremely diffucult.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never said it was easy, i just dont think its elite, or that hard if you are serious about training.

throwing out numbers about percent of population who can do it are pointless. just focus on percentage of serious athletes then give it a try and succed or fail.

i dont know 160/240... if i put on 15-20lbs of muscle (after cutting all fat from bulking down to 6/7BF, its hard to imagine that i couldnt do it.)

took me 6-8 to get to 160/240, maybe in 2.5 years i would be at 2X.

(i think our definition of elite is differnet)
Old 09-09-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100% of your weight isn't that difficult as a rule, but it does depend on your body build. When I was at my weight lifting peak I was 6'8" and about 215lbs. At that point my all-time max was 235lbs. Not very impressive in terms of percentage of body weight, but for my skinny frame and long-ass arms I felt pretty good about it.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I'm a skinny man with long arms (6'3, 168 lbs last time I checked) and benching 170 seems pretty unrealistic to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

buy a bench set at walmart and check back in 3 months.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:35 AM

my definition of elite is competitive powerlifters.

edit: you guys are also under-estimating training for power as opposed to weightlifting.

if you keep your reps low, and follow power routine, you wont put on (as much) mass.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for someone who's never benched? prop bet? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Id take that prop, with some additional terms [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 AM

I haven't lifted since high school, and I'm pretty confident I could bench my weight (once) right now. I'm 6'0" 190#.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my definition of elite is competitive powerlifters.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my post with the results from the men's 05 US Nationals. Is that elite enough for you?

[ QUOTE ]

edit: you guys are also under-estimating training for power as opposed to weightlifting.

if you keep your reps low, and follow power routine, you wont put on (as much) mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, none of those powerlifters have much mass. Quit talking out of your ass, you are out of your depth.