Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Attn: Republicans

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A realistic assessment is that the job has been done as best as possible with inevitable mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely false. But what is even more incredbile to me is that you are so willing to overlook the federal government's blunders, yet continue to call the mayor out on your stupid ass assessment about buses, a criticism that nobody put on the record before the storm hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at it this way..

If the mayor had tried to force people on the buses as he's now advocating, he'd have been screaming about thier rights being violated..
Old 09-03-2005, 12:09 PM

This thread is so ridiculous it boggles the mind.

Bush letting the homeless and sick die for financial gain and retribution?

Bush having more control over the preparation and evacuation of a city than the cities own mayor and states governor?

Bush and the evil empire not "predicting" the outcome and "aftermath" of the greatest natural disaster in American History?

WTF... is Bush suppose to be employing Ms. Cleo.

The liberal hate machine is really stretching it here. People in LA and especially New Orleans had plenty of warning to vacate the area.

Furthermore... anyone with any grasp of current events and/or local politics has had plenty of warnings, news exposes', and local debates over the fact that a large storm WILL cause those levies to break.

I have a very liberal friend in my office who moved from LA specifically becuase he said LA was not progressive enough to fix their own problems and manage their own dangers.

Here is a novel idea... why didn't the local municipalities of LA take ownership of their safety and either tax/ bond measure/ or petition for additional funds?

I didn't see FEMA pull up with a truck full of money after the L.A. Riots and or 9/11. I know they helped out... but no one in L.A., CA or N.Y. was so quick to blame the FEDERAL government. Let's get a grip folks.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your subject line should read "ATTN: Statists"

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you define "statists"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm engaging in a bit of hyperbole here. Strictly speaking, statism is a doctrine of centralized economic planning. It's often used as the opposite of libertarianism. The point I was making is that the right wingers are trying to blame the local government (which is consistent with principles of federalism, I suppose) and the left wingers are trying to blame the federal government. It just happens that the federal government is run by right-wingers and the local governments in this case are run by left-wingers. The point is that EVERY level of government [censored] up, local and federal, democrat and republican. Those that thought the government was going to fix this problem got a big dose of how incompetent government is - and not just these particular governments, but government IN GENERAL.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:23 PM

I was wondering when some of the more libertarian (are uber libertarian as pvn seems to be) posters here would weigh in about how incompetent the entire gov't has been.

If anything, this tragedy makes me lean towards much less federal involvement in these cases as it's clear they can't be depended upon for immediate help.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anything, this tragedy makes me lean towards much less federal involvement in these cases as it's clear they can't be depended upon for immediate help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Just ... speechless.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bush and the evil empire not "predicting" the outcome and "aftermath" of the greatest natural disaster in American History?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. The aftermath of a hurricane hitting New Orleans was well-known. FEMA drilled for a hurrican hitting New Orleans last summer.

I know Bush can't read past a 3rd-grade level, but this National Geographi article predicted this disaster almost exactly:

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/
Old 09-03-2005, 12:52 PM

If you've read this article, then you know that the solution proposed was rehab the coastland, which by any estimate would have taken many years if not decades. Hardly something you can blame on Bush.

Another solution I'd read about was basically build a wall around parts of N.O. thirty feet tall. The only thing wrong with that idea is that there weren't many buildings within the proposed walled off area that could survive the force necessary to drive people to use that shelter (cat 4 and 5 hurricanes).
Old 09-03-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A realistic assessment is that the job has been done as best as possible with inevitable mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely false. But what is even more incredbile to me is that you are so willing to overlook the federal government's blunders, yet continue to call the mayor out on your stupid ass assessment about buses, a criticism that nobody put on the record before the storm hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at it this way..

If the mayor had tried to force people on the buses as he's now advocating, he'd have been screaming about thier rights being violated..

[/ QUOTE ]

And about how the damn democrats are wasting money ferrying out people (non-republicans) who should be getting out on their own.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

WTF... is Bush suppose to be employing Ms. Cleo.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called "worst case scenario". They didn't have to predict it. It's been predicted many times. Psst, that's what FEMA is there for -- to address such worst case devastation. Read this article and learn a little.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as I stated in my posts below, there is some dancing around because it's a Republican State that voted heavily for Bush -

it's obvious there are glaring failures, but to point them out is to point out the failures of the Republican administrations in those states, so they can't really go fingerpointing without taking a chance and disrupting their hold on those states in the next election -

let's not forget, this is a group for whom party loyalty trumps all, even over doing what's best for the country.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

....Ye of little faith.....Rest assured that the GOP 'spinmeisters' are working overtime and will find someone outside their party to scapegoat.