Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: New Orleans: What an embarassment

I think the local government dropped the ball here severly. Yeah, the Feds should send in more troops, but without proper response from the local government, they now direly need the fed assistance.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the local government dropped the ball here severly. Yeah, the Feds should send in more troops, but without proper response from the local government, they now direly need the fed assistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The local government got overwhelmed in the "Worst Natural Disaster in the History of the US'. Any local government would have had the same problem.

Before the hurricane even hit Bush declared a National Emergency and FEMA was supposed to be in charge with resources in place.

NOLA had a tough task evacuating 1.3 Million people in less than 48 hours. Any city or state would have been burdened beyond it's capabilites. Miss. couldn't handle it either.

Katrina is the exact reason why we have a 60B+ FEMA budget.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Note: Humans are not omniscient, they make mistakes, as long as they are acting in good faith, we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]
if they were actually acting in good faith, they dont need the benefit of doubt.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:24 AM

I dont know US political structure but I dont see what the Mayor can do his city is underwater he has few resources or communication structures to take command of half the police have left their posts (understandably) and it seems that the government is leaving him high and dry.

The pictures coming out make it look like a third world country the fact that people are dying of thirst in the worlds biggest superpower what 4 days on from the event shocks me completely.

I think over here we dont understand the scale of it the area affected being the size of britain but based on that we also dont understand that so far 300 hundred national guard have been thrown at it wtf, if it happened here our troops, air force and navy would be out there straight away and I would hope that Blair would be a bit more proactice than Bush appears to be.

We do get some flooding over here and the RAF get involved straight away I dont understand why there are not a load of airforce helicopters deployed there now, surely it doesnt take 4 days to scramble them would they react so slow if there was an attack on the US you would hope not.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you build your city under the water level of the river, ocean, and lake surounding you, you might be a retarded. These people couldn't get hurrican insurance because of the cost, this is the insurance CO. way of telling you MOVE! The army core as well as others have been yelling at New Orleans since ~1910 telling people that your city will be gone when it hits! They are constaintly dreging(SP) the surrounding canals to allow boats more room to roam while ecologists tell them the more dirt you take out the lower and less protected you city will be! They have setup pumps in the city to move water out and killed off the vegitation/marshes that have helped the city withstand other storms. This city went out of their way to stand in the quick sand then yell for help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the Dutch are [censored]ed then?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 AM

I just heard something funny from the FEMA director "we didn't think the need would arise for troops to act as peace keepers, we expected them to be available to help rescue and evacuate people". It was on the news so I might be a tad off on the wording. The local goverment had everyone searched before entering the dome on Sunday because they felt that riots or gang fights could break out. I guess they didn't tell FEMA that in the past New Orleans have become a very hostile place in times of disaster?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know US political structure but I dont see what the Mayor can do his city is underwater he has few resources or communication structures to take command of half the police have left their posts (understandably) and it seems that the government is leaving him high and dry.

The pictures coming out make it look like a third world country the fact that people are dying of thirst in the worlds biggest superpower what 4 days on from the event shocks me completely.

I think over here we dont understand the scale of it the area affected being the size of britain but based on that we also dont understand that so far 300 hundred national guard have been thrown at it wtf, if it happened here our troops, air force and navy would be out there straight away and I would hope that Blair would be a bit more proactice than Bush appears to be.

We do get some flooding over here and the RAF get involved straight away I dont understand why there are not a load of airforce helicopters deployed there now, surely it doesnt take 4 days to scramble them would they react so slow if there was an attack on the US you would hope not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Imagine the Thames overflowed, and London was under 10 feet of water. Does this put it into a little more perspective?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:29 AM

Luckily, President Chimpy is in Mobile, AL right now having a "made-for-TV" conference with some of the folks leading the rescue operations. Chimpy looks confused (as per usual), but thank God and Jesus that the other conferees are telling Chimpy what a great job he has been doing in responding to this disaster.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:32 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Luckily, President Chimpy is in Mobile, AL right now having a "made-for-TV" conference with some of the folks leading the rescue operations. Chimpy looks confused (as per usual), but thank God and Jesus that the other conferees are telling Chimpy what a great job he has been doing in responding to this disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread was borderline in the first place, but this post has no place here in OOT. Go to politics.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:36 AM

The U.S. is a big country and some parts of the U.S. don't really give that much of a crap about what happens in other parts of the U.S.

How rapidly would the British Navy have been mobilized if Estonia had been flooded?