Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Hastert should keep his mouth shut

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of Hastert, but I wouldn't mind seeing him become President as the result of a double whammy ouster of Bush and our leader! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

these type of comments are so ridiculous... yes...I'm sure you actually want the leader of the free world to be murdered...

Get a life.

There is nothing wrong with politicians... who are suppose to be watching out for our tax dollars... considering whether or not rebuilding a city on un-safe ground is smart.

It's like all the millionaires that keep rebuilding in Malibu Canyon. Guess what folks, in the next 5-10 years your house will once again be threatened by mud-slides, rain, and fire.

Why commit to billions of dollars to rebuild a city that may never again be geographically safe until we do more research?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:21 PM

Hastert should most definitely not shut up. I think a serious discussion needs to be had of whether to rebuild N.O., at least in the exact same spot. Some have mentioned rebuilding the city further up the river. What's wrong with this suggestion? You still have a port city minus the amount of danger of flooding.

And to those who try to make a comparison between this and earthquakes in Cali, just stop. Those earthquakes don't destroy the vast majority of the city! And if they did, it would be stupid to rebuild there! For the same reason it would be stupid to start a city at the top of Mount Kilauea.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:40 PM

There is a certain logic to what he says but when he lumps New Orleans in with Los Angeles and San Francisco he is being ridiculous. An earthquake does not wipe out the whole city and in fact we have designed our buildings to be relatively earthquake resistant. California rules.

If they rebuild at the same place they're going to run into the same problem. The head of the Corps of Engineers said that a cost/benefit analysis determined that withstanding a Cat 3 was the best use of the money. It sounds terrible to the common man but there may be a good point.

Assuming you build a levee to withstand a Cat 3 hurricane at a cost of x dollars but also has a y% chance of withstanding a Cat 5 hurricane. Building a stronger levee may cost you (who knows) 6x dollars but (again I don't know for sure maybe a structural engineer can help) maybe your actual chances of withstanding that Cat 5 only increases to (y+25)% rather than y%. So it may not be worth the cost since a really big storm like Katrina might f* you in the a* anyways.

But New Orleans is a sweet town. It would be a shame to see it fade into oblivion.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a serious discussion needs to be had of whether to rebuild N.O., at least in the exact same spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but that doesn't mean that this bozo needs to be involved in the conversation.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure - but why would Hastert be a part of such discussion if not for a desire to tell others what to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

And you have no desire to tell others what to do? Glad to hear it.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And you have no desire to tell others what to do? Glad to hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

None whatsoever.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of Hastert, but I wouldn't mind seeing him become President as the result of a double whammy ouster of Bush and our leader! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

these type of comments are so ridiculous... yes...I'm sure you actually want the leader of the free world to be murdered...

Get a life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about murder? When I say "ouster" the first thing you think of is murder??

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with politicians... who are suppose to be watching out for our tax dollars... considering whether or not rebuilding a city on un-safe ground is smart.

It's like all the millionaires that keep rebuilding in Malibu Canyon. Guess what folks, in the next 5-10 years your house will once again be threatened by mud-slides, rain, and fire.

Why commit to billions of dollars to rebuild a city that may never again be geographically safe until we do more research?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you directing a whole bunch of scattered thoughts at me?

-ptmusic